Sign in to follow this  
bassin is addicting

hooks. EWG & REG when to use each

i am not sure when and what baits to use each type of hook and what is best.

when is an EWG best and for what and when is a straight shank hook best?

i appreciate the help.

I always use EWG and dont have any problems that i know of...I lot of people say the straight shank offer better hook-ups for texas rigging worms

• Like 1

I'm the same... I always use an EWG

• Like 1

I like to use the EWG hooks for thicker baits such as a space monkey and straight shanks for skinnier baits like a t-rigged powerworm.  Anything I think would be too thick for a straight shank would go on a EWG for me.

I like to use the EWG hooks for thicker baits such as a space monkey and straight shanks for skinnier baits like a t-rigged powerworm. Anything I think would be too thick for a straight shank would go on a EWG for me.

Right On, EWG can hinder certain baits.

I dont use EWG no more if i use a thick bait i just use a bigger straight shank

Straight shank hooks the point rides substantially above the eye of the hook and aims for the roof of the bass's mouth, resulting in a more hook-ups.

I use straight shank round bend on lure up to the diameter of a 6 Senko; for lures like the Senko and thicker I use offset round bend.  

I'm assuming by "straight shank" you mean a round bend offset worm hook as opposed to a extra wide gap offset worm hook. I use the straight shank on t-rig and weightless worms and french frys. I use wide gap on just about everything else.

I just dont like that small space between the hook point and bend on EWG ...

I've gone back to the Tru Turn and the staight shank hooks. Way better hookup ratio. The only time I use ewg is on tubes and other thick baits

Mustad Straight Shank Denny Brauer Flipping Hook Ultra Point, Nor-Tempered, 2 Slashes on shank, Round Bend, Small Barb, Black Nickel Finish

427761.jpg

The easier it is to hook a fish, the easier it is to hook the weeds.  Offset round bend seems a good compromise, although I haven't seen a huge difference.

For a worm, unless it's HUGE, I use a straight shank worm hook. If it's bulky (Craws) or really short (Hula Grub) I use an EWG. If the bait package calls out a hook, as is the case with Berkley, I'll buy what they recommend if I don't already have it. You can bend out the EWG hook a bit if you feel the need.