Sign in to follow this  
jc05442

Wiring Trolling Motor

I recently bought a 1988 bomber bass boat. Everything is perfect except for trolling motor wires. I have a MK edge 55 I'm trying to hook up to it. The wires go from the receptacle right next to a Charge/Run switch then from there, to the circuit breaker in the back with two 30 amp breakers, then to the battery. what purpose is the charge/run switch for?? and I know the TM calls for a 50 amp but with two 30 amps will that work just as fine?

I think that motor calls for a 60 amp fuse/breaker. Also consider running new wire from battery to motor , 6 guage would be best.

I'm not sure about the charge/run switch but I am assuming it takes the TM out of circuit to allow charging of the battery. That's not necessary these days, so you can leave the switch in the Run position. As for the circuit breakers, so long as they are wired in series, you are almost good to go. To avoid voiding your warranty, if any, I would suggest replacing one of the thirty amp breakers with a twenty amp.

If it's still original, there should be four cables going from the batteries to the front of the boat and the charge/run switch. The purpose of the charge/run switch is to place the batteries in parallel so they can be charged by a 12 volt charger pluged into the receptical that the TM is pluged into. In the run position, the receptical is in series for 24 volts and one terminal goes to one battery for 12 volts, this gives you the 12/24 capability for 12/24 TM's

The problem with these old system like that, they double the length of cables going between the batteries and TM. The first thing I would do is eleminate the charge/run switch, you can leave it in the hole but there will be no connections to it. Take the two red cables and connect them together on each end, and do the same with both black cables. This will be the same as upgrading to the next size large cable. If they are not at least eight guage cable (tied together will equal six guage) then you need to upgrade to at least number six cable. You then need to take those 30 amp breakers and trash them, get one 50 amp. On the TM end, forget that plug, if you look, it's probably only rated for 30 amps. Get you a pair of SB 50 grey (or any color as long as they are both the same color). Those are the best you can get and they are fairly inexpensive. BPS used to sell them, Graingers sells them and you can find them on line. There is no male/female, both are the same, they just turn over and plug into each other.

Forgot to mention, add a series jumper to your TM batteries so they are series only.

The breakers are only good for 30 amps, they are not in parallel. One is for the 24 volt connection, one is for the 12 volt connection. If you try to run that TM with them, one will trip every time you run on high or near high for any length of time and you will be wondering why you're TM keeps on cutting out.

I have some 6 gauge wire, not much. Would it work if I could put the battery in the front (it only requires one 12v), that way I'd only need a few feet of wire. So I'd run the wire from the plugs to the breaker then from there to the battery. Also, would the short wire make a difference?

My boat started with a 12/24 TM and also had a charge/run switch. I think the charge run switch changed the battery wiring from a series (on run) to a parallel on run through the TM plug so you would charge the batteries independantly. With my current 24v TM I wired it stright to the TM plug receptical. Since I added a 3 bank on board I leave the switch on charge all the time.

I would not put the battery in the front, that's 75 pounds up there and is going to make the bow run extremely heavy. Another problem you are most likely going to face, if you use the TM a lot, the one battery is not going to be enough battery and you will probably end up wanting to run two in parallel. With a 12 volt 55# thrust motor, you will definely want a minimum of six guage battery cable, some call it marine cable. Like I said, check the size of what you have, by paralleling your existing cables, it may give you enough, it also cuts the length. Also understand, if you connect a 12 volt TM to the plug in the bow as it's wired now, you will only be using two of the four wires anyway and you will most likely cause the recepticle to overheat and melt.

You've got to remember, when that boat was built, there was no such thing as TM's that pull the current todays TM's pull. Your's being only 12 volts instead of 24 doubles the problem. It takes twice as much current to run a 12 volt motor for what it takes to run a 24 volt. Everything about your system is totally outdated for what you have now.

It all boils down to it's your boat, no one can tell you what you can and can't do with it "unless you're married". If you want to install your battery in the bow, yes you can. One note on that also, batteries don't like being bounced around, damages the plates, and it will get bounced a whole lot more in the bow than the back.

Alright thanks. I have the 8 gauge wire already so I'll twist them together to make the 6 gauge and run two in parallel since I have 2 batts to begin with. I'll forget the plug like you said(way2slow) but I can't seem to find the SB 50 grey. What is the full name of them?