Sign in to follow this  
ChrisAW

My First Kayak.

Well, I got a chance at a very good price on a brand new Pelican Castaway 116 DLX that I couldn't pass up. It was a defective item at a clearance event, I talked them down to $50. It had a small split in the seam on the left side, which I've already fixed with some plastic epoxy and a plastic welder. I've been wanting to get a small craft to hit up some of the local small lakes that I've always been told were great fishing, so I'm really excited about this purchase.

Anyways, I've been reading about them and it does seem like they have their fair share of problems, so I wanted to see if there were any other people who have one and what they would suggest I do to it. Outriggers are in the plan so I can stand up and beat the banks with jigs, but thats about all I am sure about right now.

Where it sits until winters over.

2012-01-02_13-15-32_322-1.jpg

I have that exact model. You won't be able to stand up. It's tough to get rods in the hull because of the styrofoam. Their are a few little things that I haven't been too thrilled about, but it hasn't been a terrible first 'yak. I'm hoping to upgrade this spring sometime.

I have that exact model. You won't be able to stand up. It's tough to get rods in the hull because of the styrofoam. Their are a few little things that I haven't been too thrilled about, but it hasn't been a terrible first 'yak. I'm hoping to upgrade this spring sometime.

Thats the point of the outriggers, to make it more stable so I can stand. I won't be carrying more than 3 rods either, so I have no need to put any in the hull. At the most, I'll be putting some rainwear in there, a small cooler for food or to keep any gills I catch to keep in.

Sounds like you should be good then.