Just caught a new episode of City Limits fishing on the NBC sports network and see that Byron Velvick is now hosting the show. Guess Mike Iaconelli's antics didn't get him renewed as the host on the new network.

Not the same without Ike I must say.

• Like 2

No offense to Byron but you're right BASSclary, it's just not the same.

I love ike, but i really didnt like him to much as a host. If you wuold have him on a show like the bass pros, where its main goal is to give you information, i think i would love it. He was way to energetic to be a host.

I hear that Ike is a super guy in person but his antics and I just don't mesh. Recently I saw him loose a T, I think during a fish off, break a rod by smashing it down on the side of his boat then throwing bnroken rod and reel into the lake. I hope he was ticketed for littering.

IMO Ike is one of the top fishermen on the circuit but until he learns to control his emotions he will never reach his potential until he learns to control his emotions. When I saw his outbursts early in his career I thought it was a for show thing. Now I think he just loses his temper and reqacts.

In any sport getting mad happens but to perform at your highest level it needs to be a cool mad. If Ike doesn't use a sports shrink, I wish Ike would get himself a highly qualified one. His skill level should put him above #9 in world rankings and 18 in AOY.

I thought Ike did a great job as host of CLF. His energy is entertaining. It's a lot better than watching Roland Martin saltwater fishing.

• Like 4

Recently I saw him loose a T, I think during a fish off, break a rod by smashing it down on the side of his boat then throwing bnroken rod and reel into the lake. I hope he was ticketed for littering.

I agree everyone knows your supposed to break 'em over your knee. Sheesh ;)

No the show isn't the same without Ike I admit but the tantrums were not fun to watch.

Just watched the episode as well. Nothing against Velvick (he's obviously a great fisherman), but I do miss seeing Ike's energy and personality in a "real" fishing situation in places any of us could go. I have a feeling that the 12" dinks Velvick was catching lowered my interest as well... maybe they should have hit some of those San Diego lakes that have DD's swimming in them. Best of luck to Velvick... he's got some tough shoes to fill.

Forgot to ask... anyone know why Ike either decided not to come back or was not asked back???

I wouldn't expect it to be the same, Byron is a new host and that was the first episode.

I thought it was cool how he chose to fish with his life long friend/mentor and how much meaning that day had to both of them was apparent.

Norcal, good question.

With the birth of Ike's son last year he may want to have more family time.

The pro tour is gruling and I can understand why Ike would pass up CLF to focus on his family and fishing.

Either way, love Ike or hate Ike, he is an outstanding ambassador for our sport. A true gentleman and it is easy to get your photo taken and have him autograph your cap when you see him in person.

Hopefully Ike will win the Classic this year and make a strong run at Angler of the Year without donig any CLF shows.

• Like 1

2 totally different personalities. Personally based on the first episode i like Byron's presentation a little better, however i do think that Ike gave more tips and pointers while he was doing it.

I was waching the show in passing at work yesterday. I'll have to admit, I thought Ike had Byron as a guest on the show. Now that I know Ike isn't hosting I don't think I will watch the show. I admire his tenacity and it shows he is passionate. If he took time to be with family it makes total sense. It won't be the same without him, sorry Byron.

Never Give Up.......

I was also extremely disappointed when I tuned into the first episode and saw Byron as the new host....I thought to myself "hey this is Ike's show" CLF was must watch for me with Ike as a host and will only be watched occasionaly without him. No disrespect to Byron intended, but he's not going to be as entertaining for me.

oh man, i didnt even know the new season started yet. and now to find out Ike isnt the host is pretty disappointing...

Agreed, it's not the same; I may actually watch it now. IMO, Ike is a huge d-bag. I get being excited, and the screaming deal was cool once, ONCE. Watching him do it in a tournament on ESPN when he caught a 13" and didn't make the cut, CLASSIC. I know he's a good fisherman and is passionate about the sport, but so are a lot of other guys, and there are much better representatives for the sport on a fishing show.

Actually, Ike has a new show that will be on TV at some point called "Going Ike", like his Youtube channel.

He made this comment on facebook about everyone being surprised about the new season of City Limits.

Hey everyone! There has been a lot of comments about City Limits, so I just wanted to give you the scoop! I fully enjoyed 4 great seasons of filming City Limits. But at the end of the day, I was just a hired host and I had no true ownership of the show. I really put my heart and soul into filming and I really feel like I helped create a successful fishing show. But things kind of changed at the end of last season and I became the low man on the totem pole. Because of this, I decided it was time to go. I'm now working really hard to get my new TV show "Going Ike" off the ground. I hope you all will support me in my new TV adventure! Thanks and stayed tuned for more information on Going Ike

I definitely won't be watching City Limits anymore.

And as for the blowup at the Toyota Texas Classic where he cracked his rod over the side of the boat and threw it, I felt the same way Ike did. First legal fish was a total bull tie breaker. They should have had them atleast do another weigh in, even if it was only an hour to fish.

• Like 3

what i dont get is people acting like it is such a bad thing that Ike shows emotion. So what? Bass fishing on TV could use a little more excitement at times. I dont mind someones competitive nature coming out via hoops and hollers to show excitement or even when he shows anger and breaks his rod. its not like he is trash talking other anglers and putting them down

Ike has a new show coming out.......http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/working-without-net

My problem with those who are saying "I'll wacth now becasue I didn't care for Ike" is this was HIS show. There are 50 other shows to watch if you aren't a fan of Ike, but really nothing else like him (or this concept) on TV. I look forward to his new show, but it's a shame to continue on the CLF series w/o him......should have just let the concept go when they no longer wanted to work with Ike.

• Like 2

My problem with those who are saying "I'll wacth now becasue I didn't care for Ike" is this was HIS show. There are 50 other shows to watch if you aren't a fan of Ike, but really nothing else like him (or this concept) on TV. I look forward to his new show, but it's a shame to continue on the CLF series w/o him......should have just let the concept go when they no longer wanted to work with Ike.

In a quote from Ike posted a bit earlier where he stated it wasn't HIS show but that he was a hired host and sure he will get his other endeavors off the ground and be back with his Own show soon.

Yes I saw that quote and I agree with your point from a technical ownership perspective. The real point of my post is that to a majority of the viewing audience Ike was the show and it won't be the same with a new host. Perhaps I'm wrong and it will be very successful with Byron, good luck to him.

• Like 1

The tantrums were the best part, aside from him catching fish :D so funny

• Like 1

Ike is nuts and its awesome! His personality is great! I've learned a lot from watching his shows and reading his articles. All the people who whine about Ike and his tantrums are just silly! You can't tell me you have never thrown a rod or some other object while in the boat. Or how bout yelling and/or swearing in anger because you broke a fish off or had an equipment malfunction. I have never met a fisherman who thinks it's acceptable to lose a big fish or a tournament winning fish. Everyone handles their misfortune on the water differently. Ike's is just a little more extreme than most. And I guess if you don't like his antics, don't watch his show. CLF won't be the same with out him.