Sign in to follow this  
South FLA

Battery Charger

The Pro Mariner charger on my Bullet is no longer charging, so I am going to send it back and replace it with a reliable unit, since in my research I have found that Promariners have issues with longetivity. I am trying to decide between a Pro Volt (Dual Pro) or a Guest charger, but having a hard time trying to pull the trigger. I have a newer model Dual Pro SS3 three bank on the Ranger, but I am thinking of going only 2 banks in either 5 to 10 Amp per bank configuration. What's your take and any suggestions? How about Minn Kota chargers?

I had heard first hand only good things about Pro Mariner but read the same reviews you did, and replaced a MK with a Cabelas brand(made by PM) last season. I'll keep my fingers crossed. The reason I went with the Pro Mariner, was it had more optioms, higher amp rating, than the MK of a similar price at Cabelas.My boat mechanic recommended it. The MK lasted 7 years and smoked a battery when it failed.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=734150&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FparentCategoryId%3D104794380%26categoryId%3D104698080%26subCategoryId%3D104465880%26productId%3D1309718%26type%3Dproduct%26destination%3D%252Fcatalog%252Fbrowse%252Fboating-auto-boat-batteries-chargers-on-board-chargers-inverters%252F_%252FN-1100565%252FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104465880%253FWTz_l%253DSBC%25253BMMcat104794380%25253Bcat104698080%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104794380%253Bcat104698080%253Bcat104465880&WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-022133

The number of banks depends on how many batteries you need to maintain. Don't assume your starting battery will be maintained by the outboard motor. The charge rate depends on the length of time you have to get a full charge on your deep cycle batteries.

I use the Dual Pro SS series--no issues.

Like Wayne stated don't rely on the motor to charge the crank battery. I would not go for anything less than a 10 amp per bank charger. I am running a 3 bank 15 amp Dual Pro and am completely satisfied.

Thanks for the input, then a three bank charger it is, figured I would save on weight a little, but the weight savings are miniscule.

Here are the two choices then:

Guest 3 Bank with 2 x 10 AMP Banks for the Trolling batteries, and a 5 AMP for the house/starting battery. $284 at Anchor's Express shipped

http://www.marinco.com/product/25-amp-battery-charger

Dual Pro 3 Bank Charger @ 10 AMP per bank $277 out the door through Amazon

http://www.dualpro.com/media/pdf/SS3b%20insert.pdf

Any opinions on Guest Chargers? I love my Dual Pro and its winning the battle, but I like the capabiliities of battery type selection on the Guest.

Today's Dual Pro chargers work with either wet or agm batteries so why would you need one that you have to throw a switch. It isn't likely that any of us will be using true gel cells in the near future.

When I was shopping for an onboard charger, my main concern along with performance was the footprint it has. The Dual Pro SS 3-bank model has the smallest footprint of the 3 bank chargers within the capacity range I wanted.

After all the positive reviews that I read on the " NOCO GEN 3 " I decided to buy it. I can't say about its longevity, as I just put it on last week. lol. But the price was good. Got it off of Amazon. Good lluck.

Seriously .... are there any good on-board chargers out there or is it just luck of the draw? My Dual Pro lasted a season and a half. Seems like for every good thing you read about "X" brand there are just as many negative.

I've had a Guest 10 amp 2 bank charger on my boat for a little over a year and a half. I bought it after a lot of research and I've been completely satisfied with it. I was concerned that only having 5 amps per bank would not adequately charge my batteries over night but that hasn't been the case. If I had more room available for mounting I would have gone with the three bank charger.

My 3-bank Dual Pro has run 24/7 since 1998 (with time out for fishing of course) and is still going strong. If it ever goes bad, you can bet there will be another DP in the boat.

Yes battery chargers are very hit or miss it seems. I usually buy the pro mariner's. I have one on my Aluminum Boat that has been on there since I purchased it new in 01 and it is still running strong. The one on my Fiberglass boat went out a couple of years ago it was about 4 or 5 years old so I bought another Pro Mariner it went out within 3 months, I sent it back to the company and they sent me a new one that is still going strong after about 3 years now. I know it has something to do with what we put these thing through. Just think of the pounding that they take on the trailer and running down the lake. Pro Mariner is a great company to do business with in my experience and when I had trouble they sent me a new one no questions asked.

Going into my second season with my MK 460D. I am really happy with it so far. We'll see how long it lasts. I really like how it has different modes based on the needs of each battery.

A 5 amp charger is plenty for charging over night. A 10 amp charger won't put out 10 amps anyhow. That much charge over time is bad for the battery.