BASS-N-TATERS

To All My Memphis Pond Hoppers!

Johnson front pond seems to be in trouble. I'm going to call the game and wildlife department tomorrow. 

8fT7728.jpg

Update: definitely a fish kill/die off/turnover. Apparently this happens every year at Johnson. So keep that in mind if you're struggling to find any (live)fish in the front ponds.

All the dead fish have been cleaned out as of Thursday afternoon. 

Finally pulled a bass bass out of Halle. 

GEhpVKT.jpg

And I got a couple out of Grove, and Johnson:

cmmhsLW.jpg

Size seems to be a common thread. 

Neshoba, Johnson, and some other public pond right off Wolf River/Farmington(forgot the name of the park, my first time dropping in). 3.25 and a 2.3 pictured.

gWrHcug.jpg

• Like 1

Still out here catching fish. Where's everyone been?

MV8wW5X.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WDE said:

Still out here catching fish. Where's everyone been?

MV8wW5X.jpg

I've been sticking close to home last few weeks & not catching much. Got laid off few weeks ago so I'm trying to save money plus I'm in job search mode. Send me a PM - I might could sneak over to your area one afternoon for some fishing. Just don't tell the wife I'm not job hunting. 😏

47 minutes ago, wdp said:

I've been sticking close to home last few weeks & not catching much. Got laid off few weeks ago so I'm trying to save money plus I'm in job search mode. Send me a PM - I might could sneak over to your area one afternoon for some fishing. Just don't tell the wife I'm not job hunting. 😏

I'm so sorry to hear that, brother. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WDE said:

I'm so sorry to hear that, brother. 

No worries. Hopefully I'll find another job soon. 

Seriously though, shoot me a PM if you wanna meet up one day. I'd be happy to do a little pond hoppin' if I'm not busy. 

1 minute ago, wdp said:

No worries. Hopefully I'll find another job soon. 

Seriously though, shoot me a PM if you wanna meet up one day. I'd be happy to do a little pond hoppin' if I'm not busy. 

Will do for sure! 

Hi all. I am new here, haven't been fishing in a really long time. Decided it was time to get back in to it and found this forum and this thread. I went and bought a couple of reels and some lures last night, and then today after work I decided to head to the Day Care pond since it was close by. I wasn't there for 15 minutes and got my first bass in maybe 5 years or more. It looks bigger in the picture than it really was, maybe 3 lbs at the most. But it was way bigger than i expected, I figured i might get a couple of baby bass if even that. But I was thrilled with my first catch in years, and I guess I can say I am hooked again :-) Thanks for all the invaluable information here.

bass1.jpg

• Like 2

Great pic!

:fishing-026:

Thanks raodwarrior!

Has anyone here used the Deeper Sonar Pro+ or any other casting type sonar devices? Being away from fishing for a while, I was looking at some videos and ran across one where a guy was using it for bank fishing and it looks really incredible. It can tell you the water depth and temperature, and of course find fish. But it can also be used to survey the entire pond/lake and map out the depth across the whole lake (or at least in casting distance). Being that I know little about the lakes and ponds in our area, this would be very helpful information.

However, I kind of have mixed feelings about using one, in that the main reason I decided to take up fishing again, was that I work in I.T. and have a pretty stressful job. One of the things I like about fishing, is that it has always been a very relaxing experience, whether I was catching any fish or not. So I kind of decided to get back in for therapeutic value as much as the thrill of catching fish. 

I also used to be heavily in to photography, but one of the main reasons that I quit and now leave my camera at home on trips, vacations, and outings, was that I spent to much time focusing on getting that perfect picture, than actually enjoying the experience of wherever I was. So that's the other hesitation that I have, is that I may get too caught up in the technology and not just enjoy the experience of fishing.

All that being said, it would still be great to have knowledge and information on frequented lakes and ponds that otherwise may take a long time for me to just figure out. 

Would be interested in anyone's thoughts on the subject, and if anyone has had any experiences using these castible sonar devices.

Johnson is a swamp. I took these around 4:30p today. 

UBYUbYV.jpg

On 8/31/2017 at 8:36 PM, WDE said:

Johnson is a swamp. I took these around 4:30p today. 

UBYUbYV.jpg

😳😳😳😳😳

• Haha 1

On 9/1/2017 at 8:26 PM, randylw67 said:

Wow, did you try to fish it?

Haha, no. Didn't even give it much consideration. It was an outright monsoon. 

It's back down to normal now. Got out for about an hour or so before my wife woke up this morning. Place was crawling with people. Got one massive bite, but otherwise nothing. 

I guess I need to fish more often in the morning. Pulled this 4.1lb out of the pond behind Johnson-fountains at 11AM last week. Went out to run an errand or two and decided to drop in for a minute on the way back to the house.

I've been focusing a lot of attention back there lately over the past month or two. There's some big fish back there and they're not pressured whatsoever. But there's also a fair amount of 1lb or below(most of my catches). Unfortunately, there's just one decent place to throw clean casts without stomping around in the woods and risking getting snakebit*. It took some figuring out, when to yank my lure out before hitting the reeds and such as there's a good 5+ feet between where the water ends and the edge of vegetation. But I started out with a Senko and now I can drag a lipless crank through. I've caught them on topwater frogs as well. Haven't had any luck with jigs or spinners, but I don't toss them often anyway--they are great for not getting hung up in the reeds though. 

You do also have to wade into up to knee deep water if you can't flip them over the reeds. 

Someone recently looks like they got a swimbait hung up in a tree limb hanging over the cast radius...and well...I've hit it twice and backlashed my reels both past the point of no return. 

Np5tWiO.jpg

*Definitely be wary of the snakes. I was making casts in a different part of that pond near the path and a 3 foot moccasin swam through not 2 feet away from me; I had no idea it was there. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WDE said:

I guess I need to fish more often in the morning. Pulled this 4.1lb out of the pond behind Johnson-fountains at 11AM last week. Went out to run an errand or two and decided to drop in for a minute on the way back to the house.

I've been focusing a lot of attention back there lately over the past month or two. There's some big fish back there and they're not pressured whatsoever. But there's also a fair amount of 1lb or below(most of my catches). Unfortunately, there's just one decent place to throw clean casts without stomping around in the woods and risking getting snakebit*. It took some figuring out, when to yank my lure out before hitting the reeds and such as there's a good 5+ feet between where the water ends and the edge of vegetation. But I started out with a Senko and now I can drag a lipless crank through. I've caught them on topwater frogs as well. Haven't had any luck with jigs or spinners, but I don't toss them often anyway--they are great for not getting hung up in the reeds though. 

You do also have to wade into up to knee deep water if you can't flip them over the reeds. 

Someone recently looks like they got a swimbait hung up in a tree limb hanging over the cast radius...and well...I've hit it twice and backlashed my reels both past the point of no return. 

Np5tWiO.jpg

*Definitely be wary of the snakes. I was making casts in a different part of that pond near the path and a 3 foot moccasin swam through not 2 feet away from me; I had no idea it was there. 

I tried fishing that pond once & gave up because like you said, such limited access. Ain't no way I'd go wading in that water...... especially with moccasins. 😳

8 hours ago, wdp said:

I tried fishing that pond once & gave up because like you said, such limited access. Ain't no way I'd go wading in that water...... especially with moccasins. 😳

Speaking of snakes...almost stepped on this one today. Don't know the species. ggxvYVu.jpg

3 hours ago, WDE said:

Speaking of snakes...almost stepped on this one today. Don't know the species. ggxvYVu.jpg

NOPE!!!!!

• Haha 1

Been fishing Johnson Park in Collierville using a shaky head with a Berkley power snake, red shad. Throwing some swimbaits and shad colored crank baits as well. The fishing has been slow, but the baitfish are moving in early morning and evening as well. I will try the Civic Center pond behind the library Sunday evening as I have first responder classes all day Saturday at the Red Cross. Good luck to everyone. The shad are thick at the pond behind the library in Collierville and the bass seem to be concentrated on these schools.

On 9/26/2017 at 4:29 PM, GHOSTRIDER71 said:

Been fishing Johnson Park in Collierville using a shaky head with a Berkley power snake, red shad. Throwing some swimbaits and shad colored crank baits as well. The fishing has been slow, but the baitfish are moving in early morning and evening as well. I will try the Civic Center pond behind the library Sunday evening as I have first responder classes all day Saturday at the Red Cross. Good luck to everyone. The shad are thick at the pond behind the library in Collierville and the bass seem to be concentrated on these schools.

Agreed on the slow bite. These past couple weeks have been rough for me. But I think Fall weather is just around corner. 

What’s everyone been up to lately? I’ve been gradually trying some new techniques and lures (just really got into bass fishing this year) and I’ve been catching decent fish most places. I’ve discovered dropshotting and top water can be really fun when the big ones are munching. I would post some of my catches but it keeps saying the picture files are too big to upload (it gives me a .15mb limit?). Anyways, fall weather is upon us and I look forward to hearing about some nice days on the water!