BASS-N-TATERS

To All My Memphis Pond Hoppers!

New to the board and Germantown looking for public places to fish in the Memphis area.

I didn't go through all 49 pages but compiled a list of ponds mentioned below.

Neshoba Park

Grove Park

Glen Springs

Daycare Pond

Collierville City Hall Pond

Johnson Park Lower Lake

Church house Pond

Shelby Farms Lake

Herb Parsons Lake

Are there any additional ponds in the greater Memphis area that I can add to the fishing list? I'm also not sure as to the location of Daycare Pond and Church House pond. Which of the locations above are producing good fish?

A bit of info I can bring, I live in Germantown Station and recently took over the Park Services in our HOA and am working to have the pond re-stocked. Currently has only bass and bream with both populations being heavily pressured.

7 hours ago, SouthernAngler said:

New to the board and Germantown looking for public places to fish in the Memphis area.

Neshoba Park

Grove Park

Glen Springs

Daycare Pond

Johnson Park Lower Lake

Church house Pond

Shelby Farms Lake

Herb Parsons Lake

Are there any additional ponds in the greater Memphis area that I can add to the fishing list? I'm also not sure as to the location of Daycare Pond and Church House pond. Which of the locations above are producing good fish?

A bit of info I can bring, I live in Germantown Station and recently took over the Park Services in our HOA and am working to have the pond re-stocked. Currently has only bass and bream with both populations being heavily pressured.

That covers most of them. You could add Patriot and Beaver Lakes at Shelby farms. 

WC Johnson Park has 6 ponds with fish in it. I believe the “Johnson Park” you’re referring to is Johnson Rd Park, which does have an upper and lower pond. 

Daycare is near the corner of Houston Levee and Shea Rd. Park in the day care parking lot. I’ve had some success there in the mornings on a Whopper Plopper. Prior to figuring that out, I had never gotten a bite there in the afternoons. 

I've been slacking lately hitting the water. I shall be back out there soon. 

I did check out Mayor Lake and Chickasaw at Shelby Farms a while back. Spotted a few bass in both but Chickasaw is a huge body of water to take on, on feet. 

@WDE which lake is your favorite at Shelby Farms? 

Looking to catch some nice bass and bream.

On 7/9/2018 at 3:05 PM, BrushHog1906 said:

I've been slacking lately hitting the water. I shall be back out there soon. 

I did check out Mayor Lake and Chickasaw at Shelby Farms a while back. Spotted a few bass in both but Chickasaw is a huge body of water to take on, on feet. 

@WDE which lake is your favorite at Shelby Farms? 

Looking to catch some nice bass and bream.

I haven’t spent much time there to be honest; but Beaver Lake looks promising. I’m going to wait until the snake threat dies off to go stomping around the back side with the woods. It’s pretty big. There was a lot of moss/algae along the bottom, but it may have died off or calmed down by now.

Patriot Lake is also pretty huge, without a kayak or some other boat, I’ll probably never try bank fishing there. 

• Like 1

I have returned.

• Like 2

I worked half way around Halle park tonight with frogs, beatle spins, worms and christie crawlers and completely struck out. Couple hits right when I got there(19:00) on blue/black 7 inch worm but was likely a brim. 

Snott grass thick as usual.

I have never personally done good there (not saying much) but it seems others pull in lunkers. 

Anyone had any recent success there?

On 7/5/2018 at 6:52 PM, WDE said:

That covers most of them. You could add Patriot and Beaver Lakes at Shelby farms. 

WC Johnson Park has 6 ponds with fish in it. I believe the “Johnson Park” you’re referring to is Johnson Rd Park, which does have an upper and lower pond. 

Daycare is near the corner of Houston Levee and Shea Rd. Park in the day care parking lot. I’ve had some success there in the mornings on a Whopper Plopper. Prior to figuring that out, I had never gotten a bite there in the afternoons. 

I have had cool weather success tossing t-rigged rage craws at the furthest light pole from the day care near the road as well. Daycare pond is another snott grass semi shallow pond but has mature bass in it. Zero shade so the tactics are different.

I’ve had a few good ones in the past few weeks + a lottt of dinks. 

Anyone else been catching much lately? Thread has kinda died since last month :shocked:

483F79C4-B4D0-42E6-BCE0-99C8C3D2ED22.jpeg

19FC813D-C253-444E-9AD8-602166ED453D.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wwood said:

Anyone else been catching much lately? Thread has kinda died since last month :shocked:

I’ve been whacking them at the neighborhood pond I was cleared to use. Couple hours in the morning a few days a week. Haven’t gotten anything of size lately though. 

Waiting for the Fall weather to roll in so I can spend a little more time out bouncing around ponds. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2018 at 2:03 PM, Brandon Dippel said:

Anyone know any good bank fishing spots on the big lakes down 55? Sardis, Arkabutla

I have had luck all three times I have been to Sardis in the past 2 months. I go to the spillway on the lower lake. Nice bass are right along the rocks on both sides where it widens out.

• Thanks 1

Welcome aboard!

:fishing-026:

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2018 at 10:57 AM, SouthernAngler said:

Neshoba Park

Grove Park

Glen Springs

Daycare Pond

Johnson Park Lower Lake

Church house Pond

Shelby Farms Lake

Herb Parsons Lake

I'm assuming that Neshoba Park is the one behind Chick-fil-A in Germantown, if so, I caught a 4 pounder out of there yesterday, September 12th. Not the one with the walking trail, the one they don't cut the grass around.

So where is the church house pond?

I live in midtown, any leads on places that might be good not so far away? Sometimes I have only an hour or so to fish.

Anyone ever fish off of Humphreys north of Walnut Grove? Or any of the bar pits along 385?

On 7/5/2018 at 10:57 AM, SouthernAngler said:

On 8/27/2018 at 12:18 AM, Brandon Dippel said:

Fishing here sucks. End of story 

Aw, man...did you try wombo?

On 7/10/2018 at 7:08 PM, WDE said:

I haven’t spent much time there to be honest; but Beaver Lake looks promising. I’m going to wait until the snake threat dies off to go stomping around the back side with the woods. It’s pretty big. There was a lot of moss/algae along the bottom, but it may have died off or calmed down by now.

Patriot Lake is also pretty huge, without a kayak or some other boat, I’ll probably never try bank fishing there. 

Ha! I'll be dead and buried before I call it Hyde Lake. From what I understand they were going to wait several years after the lake reopened before they were going to allow fishing there. 

As far as Shelby Farms fishing goes, I like the three eastern most ponds in the leash-free dog area. They seem to be the least fished. I once fished the pond near the corner of Mullins Station and Farm Road without much luck. I'm going to hit it again one day, but it's not easy to get to, and even harder to walk around, and it's kinda far to drag my kayak.

I haven't fished Beaver Lake in 20+ years, but I have to assume it's heavily fished.

On 8/23/2018 at 2:51 AM, wwood said:

I'd like to know where you found those

On 7/10/2018 at 7:08 PM, WDE said:

Ha! I'll be dead and buried before I call it Hyde Lake. From what I understand they were going to wait several years after the lake reopened before they were going to allow fishing there. 

As far as Shelby Farms fishing goes, I like the three eastern most ponds in the leash-free dog area. They seem to be the least fished. I once fished the pond near the corner of Mullins Station and Farm Road without much luck. I'm going to hit it again one day, but it's not easy to get to, and even harder to walk around, and it's kinda far to drag my kayak.

I haven't fished Beaver Lake in 20+ years, but I have to assume it's heavily fished.

Is there a name for the lake behind the Lowe's on Germantown Road? It's really pretty and fun to fish, but you really need a kayak.

All the shelby park lakes get hammered.  Its close to the house so i am out there a bunch, and there are always other people on the bank while i am there.  The dog park is my stomping ground, and the only real fish i have caught in the park.  The beaver pond behind the stables has fish but i have only ever caught dinks out of there and lots of the bucket patrol hauling fish out of that pond.  Found a huge pond called the blue lagoon but despite the 4 trips i have made, i have skunked every time.  Rumor is there are good fish in there, and i could believe it based on the size of the water, i may and try to get my yak in there and see how that goes.

16 hours ago, Angry John said:

All the shelby park lakes get hammered.  Its close to the house so i am out there a bunch, and there are always other people on the bank while i am there.  The dog park is my stomping ground, and the only real fish i have caught in the park.  The beaver pond behind the stables has fish but i have only ever caught dinks out of there and lots of the bucket patrol hauling fish out of that pond.  Found a huge pond called the blue lagoon but despite the 4 trips i have made, i have skunked every time.  Rumor is there are good fish in there, and i could believe it based on the size of the water, i may and try to get my yak in there and see how that goes.

Where's the blue lagoon?