Sign in to follow this  
llPa1nll

Traveling And Fishing

So I just wanted to get some feedback, before I look onto the TSA's website. I shipped my rods and tackle for a fishing vacation today, however I forgot to pack some miscellanious plastics baits and a crankbait or two. My question is this what are the odds of these items being allowed onto the plane in carryon luggage? Thanks again for any and all help. Here is the write up from the TSA's website.

Fishing Rods / Poles

Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.

Spear Guns

Spear guns are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.

Tackle Equipment

Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.

Are the plastics and crankbaits not available to purchase once you reach your destination?

Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.

Are they admitting TSA workers are thieves or things may get damaged?

I travel by plane frequently with fishing gear...

So far, I have NOT been allowed to carry on:

Reels with any line on them. Reels are okay, as long as no line.

No spools of line, or extra reel spools with line on them. [must be checked in]

Hooks, or lures rigged with hooks [they must be checked in].

---------------------

Soft plastics with NO hooks seem to be okay to carry on.

I have always carried on my reels with line on them and never had a problem. Anything with hooks should be checked. Never had a problem with soft plastics either.

I am usually leaving from Kentucky so the TSA agents are all fishermen anyway!!

A lot depends on the particular airport/TSA agents involved. Some are jerks---some are fishermen and understand about tackle.

Are they admitting TSA workers are thieves or things may get damaged?

Both TSA as well as baggage handlers may be prone to stealing. There are locks available and approved by TSA that you can put on your checked luggage. The locks can be opened by a key used by the TSA only. At least this keeps the baggage handlers out.

I know this isn't the reason you posted this but....this is the problem with the TSA and their check-in...inconsistency!!!!

I've gone through security multiple times with a reel with line on it. Gave the screener a good laugh, said he hadnt seen a fishing reel in a few months.

The TSA has objected in the past about line on reels. There mindless contention was that the line could be used as a weapon for choking someone. I said so could my belt or shoe strings. Do we have to check those also? They seem to be most concerned with international travel. I have always carried my reels aboard in a carry on bag. They will not permitt any fish hooks for carry on.

Was told by TSA no line was allowed on board planes because it could be used to tie people up with.

I have not been able to fly with it in my carry ons, spooled on a reel.

Bare reels; yes, they can be carried on.

I have had that same issue several times going in or out of Floriida or California.