Ban on Fishing and Hunting DerbiesBan on Fishing and Hunting Derbies Ban on Fishing and Hunting Derbies
Six Democrats at the request of the Humane Society of the United States have introduced a bill that could ban all contest related to the take of fish and wildlife in Oregon. This would include fishing derbies, big buck or bull contests, coyotes derbies, etc.
It’s critical that you CLICK HERE to email the Senate Judiciary Committee to oppose this emotionally charged and non-science based legislation.
SENATE BILL 723
Prohibits person from organizing, sponsoring, promoting, conducting or participating in contest, competition, tournament or derby in Oregon that has objective of taking wildlife for prizes or other inducement or for entertainment.
Punishes violation of prohibition by imprisonment for not more than 364 days and fine of not more than $6,250. Requires transportation of injured wildlife to licensed wildlife rehabilitation facility or veterinarian. Provides that person that injures or kills wildlife in violation of Act forfeits remains of wildlife to State Department of Fish and Wildlife. Declares emergency, effective on passage.
- Senator Sara Gelser – Democrat – District 8 – Corvallis, Albany, Philomath, Millersburg, Tangent, and unincorporated parts of Linn and Benton County
- Senator Michael Dembrow – Democrat – District 23 – Portland
- Senator Jeff Golden – Democrat – District 3 – Ashland
- Senator Elizabeth Steiner Hayward – Democrat – District 17 – NW Portland/Beaverton
- Senator Kathleen Taylor – Democrat – District 21 – Milwaukie
- Representative Alissa Keny-Guyer – Democrat – District 46 – Portland
- Representative Courtney Neron – Democrat – District 26 – Aloha, Beaverton, Hillsboro, King City, Sherwood, Tigard, Wilsonville
- Representative Rob Nosse – Democrat – District 42 – Portland
Grow your fishing skills and improve your angling effectiveness.
Subscribe to the free weekly BassResource newsletter.