In the past, I fished several local circuits with my husband John, and we qualified for the AllStar Bass Championship every year. AllStar Bass was the biggest circuit in Arizona for decades. However, most of my stories are based on the credentials of other anglers – not necessarily famous ones, either. Many of the best bass fishermen I know have never fished a tournament. I think everyone who fishes for bass for any amount of time has a lot to share. I’m pretty good at getting fishing secrets out of people – I’d say my strong point is interviewing. My dad used to say that I would have made an excellent spy.
I hunted with my dad almost as soon as I could walk – he was an Ojibwa Indian and a member of the Red Lake Band of Chippewas. I now shoot (pistols, rifles, shotguns), hunt (Coues, quail, doves, javelina, varmints), fish (bass, crappie, stripers, panfish), hike, camp, and do off-road adventures with my husband John and an excellent little French Brittany named Mochi.
I’ve been a bass fisherman for 30+ years now, and I absolutely love bass fishing. I would go every day if I could. It’s like hunting, but you don’t have to draw a tag!
Highlights of my professional writing career include:
- Professional Outdoor Writer for over 30 years. (Started on a typewriter)
- Voting member of Professional Outdoor Media Association.
- Former member of Outdoor Writers Association of America.
- Three-time winner of Arizona Outdoor Writer of the Year Award
- Fishing Editor of Arizona Hunter and Angler for almost 20 years
- Outdoors Page Writer for the Arizona Republic for several years until they discontinued the Outdoor Page
- Frequent speaker at International Sportsmen’s Expo and Arizona Boat Show
- Featured on the cover of Western Outdoor Times April 2019
- Recently Interviewed on Fox 10 News about women and bass fishing
- Writer for Gary Yamamoto’s Inside Line for over a decade now – insideline.net
- Outdoors Editor for Arizona Boating and Watersports and Western Outdoor Times
- Writer for BassResource.com
- Published in InFisherman, Bassin’, Crappie World, Bass West, Western Outdoor News, Outdoors Unlimited, Safari Club International, and many other print and online publications.
Connect with Margie: