Care Is Key To Reel Life
Proper care can be key to the longevity of your fishing reel. As you head for the water this season, Abu Garcia's Björn Everman says there are some simple steps that can help keep your reel rolling right through the year.
Everman, who works in Abu Garcia's Svangsta, Sweden plant, says there are four steps that every angler can take to enhance the longevity of their baitcast reel, including:
- After a fishing trip or before storing a reel for an extended period of time, be sure to back off the star wheel to extend the life of your drag system;
- Periodically oil your levelwind system lightly with a teflon or silicone-based oil.
- Do not apply excessive grease or oil to your reel, or it may hamper its performance, reduce casting distance, and shorten or destroy drag system performance;
- Never apply any type of lubrication to the drag washers of an Ambassadeur reel. Unlike other baiteast reels on the market today, the Abu Garcia drag systems are designed to operate without lubrication.
Everman also offers the following troubleshooting tips for anglers using baitcast reels:
- If the spool does not rotate when you turn the handle, you should check to make sure that your star drag is properly tightened;
- If your fishing line tangles when you make a cast, you may want to try adjusting your mechanical brake;
- If you experience poor casting distance, adjust your mechanical brake and make sure your spool is filled with line to 1/8" from the top lip of the spool.
Everman says that at least once a season your baitcast reel should be disassembled for a thorough cleaning and relubrication. If you aren't comfortable performing this task yourself, call the reel's manufacturer for the factory authorized service center nearest you.