The Best Bass Fishing Lakes in Florida
Largemouth bass are one of the most popular freshwater gamefish in Florida, and for good reason. Florida ranks as one of the top states when it comes to producing trophy largemouth bass. While many bodies of water in Florida produce their share of giant bass every now and then, the ones listed below are known for consistently kicking out trophy bass, which is why they're listed as the best bass lakes in Florida.
- Rodman Reservoir is located near Gainsville in Northern Florida and is well-known for trophy largemouth bass. For decades, big bass over 8 pounds have been consistently caught every year, due to the abundant forage and excellent habitat Rodman offers. If you want a good chance of catching a lunker of a lifetime, then Rodman Reservoir is it.
- Lake Tohopekaliga is within driving distance of Orlando, making it a popular destination for visitors. Toho is a legendary fishery that has produced both numbers and sizes of giant largemouth bass every year. Anglers routinely catch bass in the 5-8 pound range, with an occasional beast at the end of the line.
- Butler Chain in Central Florida offers an abundance of big bass. The clear waters and varied vegetation combine to create the perfect habitat for growing large numbers of healthy big bass. Anglers routinely catch bass in the 5-8 pound range, with the occasional double-digit possible on each outing.
- Lake Okeechobee is one of the largest lakes in Florida, and has a well-earned reputation for largemouth bass fishing. For decades, this famous fishery has produced amazing fishing opportunities for both numbers and big bass of 10 pounds or more. This is a "must visit" lake for every serious bass angler.
- Lake Istokpoga in Central Florida is another lunker bass factory offering one of the highest largemouth bass catch rates in the state along with a genuine opportunity for catching a monster bass with every cast. Nearly 100 bass over 10 pounds are documented angler catches each year.
- Kenansville Reservoir is another Central Florida lake that pumps out big bass every year. It's a shallow, small lake with a catch-and-release only regulation, allowing big bass to grow even bigger. The non-stop action of healthy-sized bass makes this a lake worth visiting.
- Lake Kissimmee routinely boasts a 6-pound average for largemouth bass, with trophies in the teens not uncommon. This central Florida bass factory has a big bass reputation, and seems to get better every year.
Florida Fishing Licensing Information
Licenses By Phone: 1-888-FISH-FLORIDA (347-4356)