bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Thinking About Purchasing A New Mh/h Baitcaster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#16 Bass_Fanatic

Bass_Fanatic

Fishing on the Bend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted July 26 2012 - 10:05 PM

Do yourself a favor and get the Powell endurance 714C. Its 7'1" H powered rod that is sick...can double over to cover a wide variety of techniques. I own this rod as well as a Croix Avid 7' MH/F, Dobyns Savvy 734c, and Phenix Recon 764. The powell is the most versital. It can do anything!
PB: 10lbs 4oz

#17 BASSclary

BASSclary

Steezy in the crease.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,072 posts

Posted July 26 2012 - 10:14 PM

Thats also something I was wondering.. all of my current rods have a fast action tip. The extra fast tip means that the rod will have a stiffer backbone and flex at less than one third of the rods tip when I set the hook correct? Both the MH and H are rated for a bait that weighs as little as 1/4oz. So perhaps going with the Heavy which is 7'1" vs the MH which is 7'2" (random difference) is a better call incase I want to be more confident when throwing a heavier bait. I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered as I can't physically hold a Powell until I purchase it and have it delivered... bummer.

I am also worried that with and xfast rod tip vs a fast I will not be able to maintain a proper amount of tension on the fish as these rods tend to return to a resting point very quickly.

In your case then, i'd go with the H. Yes, the tip will recover a bit faster. It's not like your going to just stop reeling and give the fish alot of slack, as long as your reeling in the fish, the rod will bend past the tip, and into the mid section between the backbone and the tip.

Rage Tail
Seaguar

DOWN WITH THE SHIMANO POSSE.

#18 ipeeinmywetsuit

ipeeinmywetsuit

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted July 26 2012 - 10:15 PM

Do yourself a favor and get the Powell endurance 714C. Its 7'1" H powered rod that is sick...can double over to cover a wide variety of techniques. I own this rod as well as a Croix Avid 7' MH/F, Dobyns Savvy 734c, and Phenix Recon 764. The powell is the most versital. It can do anything!

Still my one worry is the extra fast tip.. is it easy for your to maintain constant tension on a fish while fighting it especially in open water?? I like these rods a lot so far. I just wish they came with a fast action tip like the rest of the rods in its price range.

#19 BASSclary

BASSclary

Steezy in the crease.

• Members
  • 4,072 posts

Posted July 26 2012 - 10:31 PM

Still my one worry is the extra fast tip.. is it easy for your to maintain constant tension on a fish while fighting it especially in open water?? I like these rods a lot so far. I just wish they came with a fast action tip like the rest of the rods in its price area.

Its completely easy to maintain tension, just fight the fish like you normally would.

Rage Tail
Seaguar

#20 ipeeinmywetsuit

ipeeinmywetsuit

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted July 26 2012 - 10:38 PM

Ok.. I think Im going to go ahead and throw down the bills for either the MH or H Powell Endurance. I'm going to sleep on it and order it either this weekend or monday at the latest. Thanks for your help BASSclary, smr913, Bass_Fanatic, and everyone else. Hope all goes well with this as I'm pretty excited.

#21 ipeeinmywetsuit

ipeeinmywetsuit

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 09:32 PM

One more question: Do you guys own Powell rods in a MH or H? Is the MH stiff or is the H more like your typical MH blank? I just want something that I can throw shallow cranks, topwater, and jigs/texas rigged plastics and Im stuck thinking the heavy might be too much of a heavy jig rod and not something more versatile. Thanks.

Edit: I am going to call Powell on Monday and talk to them and get their opinion as well... I don't know why I didn't think of that last week ._.

#22 BASSclary

BASSclary

Steezy in the crease.

• Members
  • 4,072 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 10:33 PM

I have a 6'8" mh and its pretty true to rating, MH. I would get the MH for what you listed above.

The Heavy is nice for really big baits, and heavy cover, buts its just not as versatile.

Rage Tail
Seaguar

#23 ipeeinmywetsuit

ipeeinmywetsuit

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 10:37 PM

I have a 6'8" mh and its pretty true to rating, MH. I would get the MH for what you listed above.

The Heavy is nice for really big baits, and heavy cover, buts its just not as versatile.

Yeah Im thinking the same right now BASSclary since I don't think I have a lure heavier than 1/2oz anyways...

#24 new2BC4bass

new2BC4bass

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 12:18 AM

To me the 714C is so versatile because it is really a MH, not Heavy, although I personally like a Fast action rod for all-around work. I have several MH rods from different manufacturers. Most run 1/4-1 oz. which is what the 714C is rated at. An older model XMLTi MH is rated for 3/8-2 oz. If this rod can handle 2 oz, then it would make a Heavy for me since I don't currently throw any lures over 3/4 oz.

Is the Extra Fast rating a true rating? I can cast further with a Fast tip which would seem logical to me since more of the rod is loading. And before someone tells me accuracy is more important, I agree.

#25 BASSclary

BASSclary

Steezy in the crease.

• Members
  • 4,072 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 12:29 AM

To me the 714C is so versatile because it is really a MH, not Heavy, although I personally like a Fast action rod for all-around work. I have several MH rods from different manufacturers. Most run 1/4-1 oz. which is what the 714C is rated at. An older model XMLTi MH is rated for 3/8-2 oz. If this rod can handle 2 oz, then it would make a Heavy for me since I don't currently throw any lures over 3/4 oz.

Is the Extra Fast rating a true rating? I can cast further with a Fast tip which would seem logical to me since more of the rod is loading. And before someone tells me accuracy is more important, I agree.

It's true to rating, or really close to me.

Rage Tail
Seaguar

#26 ipeeinmywetsuit

ipeeinmywetsuit

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted August 05 2012 - 01:02 AM

Just to vent to you guys. I went with the 723C endurance rod. I used it for a day and absolutely loveeeee it. However, I was inspecting the guides and noticed the resin around the second guide from the reel seat had an air pocket and I ran my finger over it and it began to chip away that easily. I imagine this will continue to get worse so I'll be exchanging it for another. It really bums me out because I have terrible luck with manufacturing defects. This doesn't change the fact that I am totally amazed by Powell's rod. Hopefully all goes well with the return/exchange. Thanks for edging me on to check out this company I plan on buying more from them.