• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • LocationKCK
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:One without other boats

Posted January 28 2012 - 05:37 PM

I got to play with one. It looked nice BUT, it would get hung up sorta? If you hit the thumb bar then spun the spool once you started reeling it wanted to act like something wasn't all the way in gear. It just felt rough not smooth at all then the next time I thumbed the button them spun the spool then turned the handle it was smooth again .
The guys at the counter thought I was crazy so I handed it to them so they could see how rough it was before they believed me . It did this twice in about 10 times of me playing with it.

On a side note after they called me to come get one they decided they can't sell them until the classic Feb 23?
They said they sold out of a bunch of reels before the classic last year and people were upset that they were out of stock.
It’s always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

#17 boystcroix

boystcroix

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationNorthcentral PA
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Susquehanna River

Posted February 02 2012 - 07:50 PM

I have last years model Carbonlite and I like it. I only used it one season so far so time will tell how it holds up, but I have had good experience with most Bass Pro baitcasters. I have a blue Rick Clunn that I've been using on a cranking rod for about 4 or 5 years, this reel gets used hard throughout the year and has yet to fail. Anyhow I just ordered a new Carbonlite a couple days ago, it will be a while till I get to use it but I'll let you know what I think of it.

#18 Diggy

Diggy

I fish by foot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Spotted
  • Favorite Lake or River:Canal de Snakehead

Posted February 07 2012 - 06:34 AM

I also have the last model and I love it, very smooth. I wish they had more lh versions of the new jm reel. Might have to buy in right. The combos are up on the site on a new page

A fish a day, keeps the skunks away.

#19 Delaware Valley Tackle

Delaware Valley Tackle

I Love Bass Fishing!

• BassResource.com Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts
  • Facebook:100001517419739#!/pages/Milford-PA/Delaware-Valley
  • LocationFort Plain, NY
    Mohawk River Valley
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth

Posted February 07 2012 - 09:38 AM

Sticky clutch is something I see somewhat often in BPS reels. A good cleaning and lube usually takes care of it. Depending on where the noise is coming from, cleaning may or may not help. Some reels are so over lubed they are actually a little louder after being cleaned and freed up. This is fine with me since I'd rather have the performance but it really bothers some folks.
10% Disc. on Reel Repair/Service & Custom Rods for BassResource.com members! www.delawarevalleytackle.com

#20 NCLifetimer

NCLifetimer

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationNC
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Falls, Jordan, Gaston

Posted February 07 2012 - 01:41 PM

Not to hijack, but are the internal brakes adjustable(ie turn some off/on if desired)? I was thinking about picking one up but from the pictures on the website the internal brakes don't look adjustable.

#21 Shinyboy

Shinyboy

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs

Posted February 13 2012 - 01:44 PM

I was in BPS this weekend and picked up 2 new rods. One, a new Carbonlite 6.4:1 with a 7' MH Microguide Carbonlite rod. One word: LIGHT!!!! I mean, so freaking light, i almost couldn't believe what I was feeling (or not feeling for that matter). The reel was smooth in all areas and seems to be built like a tank. Great materials selection and the textured finish makes for a nice feel when palmed. I am stoked to get out and pull in some hogs with it!! I'll post back when I get some time on the water with the new setup.

The other pair I grabbed was an old faithful spinning reel, a Pfleuger Supreme XT, with a 6'6" MH Carbonlite rod. This one was the kicker. I was at the reel counter looking at reels and had done my homework before I came in. BPS will give you the online combo price on any pair as shown online, regardless of whether or not it is shown as a combo in store. This combo was shown for $199 online (not bad for a rod that's normally $99 and a reel that's $159). When I asked the girl at the counter to confirm the combo price she said "No, this is in our computers at $229."

So I said, "You do match the online pricing in store, right?" "Of course", she said.

So great, $200 it is. Well, I get to the counter to pay for everything and another fella rings me up. $159!!! Not sure what happened there, but thanks BPS for making my weekend!!!!!!! Basically got the Carbonlite rod free! Got a chance to throw it a few times in a small pond nearby and man, what a beautiful setup. No complaints from me!!

#22 endless

endless

"I SWEAR IT WAS THIS BIG"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  • Facebook:ForeverEndless
  • LocationBowlingGreen, VA
  • Favorite Lake or River:Smoot's pond, Hunting run, Ni Reservoir.

Posted February 13 2012 - 02:18 PM

I was at our BassPro yesterday but they didn't have the new Carbonlite spinning reel in. I was ready to check it out and get my wife for Valentines day but since our's don't have any in I'm thinking about picking her up the new Extreme rod and reel. I just can't believe the new Extreme rod goes for $99 now. The new reel felt nice also and I think my wife would love it.

Oh please dear lord let it be an 8 or more!!

Work: a dangerous disorder affecting high public functionaries who want to go fishing.-Ambrose Bierce
gallery_22855_157_3521.jpg

#23 Jason Penn

Jason Penn

This space for rent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationBlytheville, AR

Posted February 13 2012 - 02:19 PM

I was in BPS this weekend and picked up 2 new rods. One, a new Carbonlite 6.4:1 with a 7' MH Microguide Carbonlite rod. One word: LIGHT!!!! I mean, so freaking light, i almost couldn't believe what I was feeling (or not feeling for that matter).

i got the same combo yesterday, except i got it in 7:1. i couldn't believe it when i 1st picked it up!

nclifetimer the cent brake is adjustable on the outside. when i 1st messed with the reel i couldn't quite figure it out, but there's 2 external adjustments for the dbs. in the center is cent brakes and the the outside ring of that is for mag.
At this time, I am not accepting sponsors.   Feel free to send me samples of your product and I will add you to the list of possible candidates.

#24 Flukeman

Flukeman

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationErieville, NY
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Champlain

Posted February 13 2012 - 06:19 PM

You guy's should have waited. Those reels are going to be on sale in a couple weeks and you can get them down to $89 with a reel trade in. The spinning reel will probably be on sale too.
Jeff Edgarton
Youth Director GOB Jr Bassmasters

#25 Jason Penn

Jason Penn

This space for rent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 08:31 PM

You guy's should have waited. Those reels are going to be on sale in a couple weeks and you can get them down to $89 with a reel trade in. The spinning reel will probably be on sale too.

i actually got these 2 reels for $80 each and didn't have to trade in anything! :)
At this time, I am not accepting sponsors.   Feel free to send me samples of your product and I will add you to the list of possible candidates.

#26 Flukeman

Flukeman

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationErieville, NY
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Champlain

Posted February 14 2012 - 07:37 AM

Were they the orange/gold carbonlite reels or the new black model?
Jeff Edgarton
Youth Director GOB Jr Bassmasters

#27 l3rd

l3rd

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 07:38 AM

I also have the last model and I love it, very smooth. I wish they had more lh versions of the new jm reel. Might have to buy in right. The combos are up on the site on a new page

The Cincinnati BPS empolyees don't seem to like them. They got 5 in, and one was bad. They do not have the feel nor are they the same design of the older ones. The $135 Browning, now a BPS line, is the same design as the new Carbonlites. I picked up a couple of the older style reels before they sell out. The on-line selection is down to left hand only already, so what's in the stores is it. I was not impressed with the new ones. They seem to be far less smooth than the older ones. Time will tell, but I had been thinking I was going to buy a couple of the new ones, but after seeing them and tinkering with them in the store, I got a couple more of the old ones instead...

#28 *Hootie

*Hootie

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationCincinnati OH
  • My PB:Please Choose

Posted February 14 2012 - 02:10 PM

The Cincinnati BPS empolyees don't seem to like them. They got 5 in, and one was bad. They do not have the feel nor are they the same design of the older ones. The $135 Browning, now a BPS line, is the same design as the new Carbonlites. I picked up a couple of the older style reels before they sell out. The on-line selection is down to left hand only already, so what's in the stores is it. I was not impressed with the new ones. They seem to be far less smooth than the older ones. Time will tell, but I had been thinking I was going to buy a couple of the new ones, but after seeing them and tinkering with them in the store, I got a couple more of the old ones instead...

I am one of the Cincinnati BPS guys, and I think they are great. I know for sure a couple of the guys in the fishing dept. have bought them already, including myself.

#29 Jason Penn

Jason Penn

This space for rent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 02:36 PM

Were they the orange/gold carbonlite reels or the new black model?

the new 1's. i bought the carbonlite micro rods for $119.99 each and they gave me the reels for $80 each :P

i had actually planned to wait til the spring classic sale and save $20, but i was already at bps (about an hour & 15 minute drive) so i figured the extra cost would get eat up either in gas driving back or shipping.

#30 Hi Salenity

Hi Salenity

Chine Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • LocationKCK
  • Favorite Lake or River:One without other boats

Posted February 14 2012 - 04:14 PM

I played with another one that was screwy? you could feel/hear the "gears" in a spot every rotation of the handle. It was the same spot every rotation of the handle?

The odd thing was if it had some end play in the spool the noise went away but if you gave it any spool tension it would make the noise.
It’s always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users