fishing

bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Jerkbaits And Cranks. Why Cant I Catch Fish?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#16 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,591 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 10:29 AM

My lips are sealed.

For anyone else having difficulty, there is a message in there.....

Everything in moderation.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#17 Trickerie

Trickerie

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hey all. Thanks for all of the advice. I'll try to answer as many questions as possible. To start, the water has only about 1-3 feet of visibility depending on the area. There's is very little structure to the lake (read: none) except the occasional small log I'll pull up thinking its a turtle I nicked with a hook lol. The only crank bait I've ever gotten bites on is my medium diving black with red flecks one. I can't recall the brand. However. I do have 2 square bill bombers. Shallow diving. One in a brown and chartreuse craw and the other in a shad color. I also have a jointed Rapala in a greenish color. My tackle isn't with me so I'm doing this by memory. I have a few more. I have noticed, though, the lack of fish other than bass and catfish in the lake. I began to use baits that matched baby bass and noticed an extreme increase in bites, though this is on plastics and lipless cranks.

#18 Nitrofreak

Nitrofreak

Kiss my bass!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 12:30 PM

Hey all. Thanks for all of the advice. I'll try to answer as many questions as possible. To start, the water has only about 1-3 feet of visibility depending on the area. There's is very little structure to the lake (read: none) except the occasional small log I'll pull up thinking its a turtle I nicked with a hook lol. The only crank bait I've ever gotten bites on is my medium diving black with red flecks one. I can't recall the brand. However. I do have 2 square bill bombers. Shallow diving. One in a brown and chartreuse craw and the other in a shad color. I also have a jointed Rapala in a greenish color. My tackle isn't with me so I'm doing this by memory. I have a few more. I have noticed, though, the lack of fish other than bass and catfish in the lake. I began to use baits that matched baby bass and noticed an extreme increase in bites, though this is on plastics and lipless cranks.

That is not structure that is cover, structure is the lake bottom itself, cover is anything on top of the structure.

If your medium diving crank is working you are doing something right, if 1-3 feet is all you have then baits that make a little noise and give off shadows like dark colored baits or flash like spinners will be best.

If you are getting bites and missing them then slow the bait down or change the color a little, or if you feel it hit a bait, pause the bait for a second or two and start yo-yoing it back to you.
Fishing is my idea of a good lip piercing!

I have also found that when it comes to friends, a good friend will come and bail you out of jail, but best friends will be right there beside you saying d**n that was fun !!!

#19 Trickerie

Trickerie

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for the correction nitro. The lake is man made so it is pretty consistent ground wise. I ony know of one area that has a few foot incline. I was thinking of investing in a vision 110 to see if I increase my jerkbait chances. Good idea or another brand I should try before I bite the $25 bullet?

#20 Nitrofreak

Nitrofreak

Kiss my bass!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the correction nitro. The lake is man made so it is pretty consistent ground wise. I ony know of one area that has a few foot incline. I was thinking of investing in a vision 110 to see if I increase my jerkbait chances. Good idea or another brand I should try before I bite the $25 bullet?

Without really knowing your water in great detail, there are cheaper options you should look at first.

Me personally I would try spinners with three blades, mix two silver with one gold, or even spoons, you get a lot more bang for the buck, at least from the info I have seen about your lake, I would save the jerk bait for a little clearer and warmer water.

Confidence is everything when you choose a bait to work with, make sure the right bait meets the right condition before you just throw one out there otherwise you will feel you have waisted your time and money and most of all your confidence will be lost in a particular bait.
Fishing is my idea of a good lip piercing!

I have also found that when it comes to friends, a good friend will come and bail you out of jail, but best friends will be right there beside you saying d**n that was fun !!!

#21 smalljaw67

smalljaw67

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 06:29 PM

Jerkbaits are really good fish catchers but as others have said, they are a clear water bait and happen to be one of my favorites but in dirty water forget it. In order to catch fish on cranks you first need confidence in the lure itself, and the only way to do that is by catching a fish or 2 so I have some suggestion to help you. The nex time you go fishing, use your plastics like normal and once you get a bite or catch a fish remember the spot and how deep it was. For example, if you were fishing a piece of cover and caught the fish close to it in say 3 feet of water, look to fish a shallow area with a shallow diving crank. Parallel the shore line at that depth and you will get bit. Most anglers who haven't caught fish on crankbaits either have been fishing them in areas with no fish or they just haven't fished with them very much. Learn the crankbait by focusing on shallow cranks first and then move to mid depth ones and finally deep divers, by the time you begin to fish with deep diving baits you will have caught enough fish on shallow and medium divers to have confidence in them. out of all the crankbaits on the market there is one you need to get and that is the Rapala shad rap, a shad rap #5 is good on spinning gear fished in water 5 to 7 feet deep, it runs about 5 or 6 feet on a decent cast and more importantly it is probably the most effective cool or cold water crankbait ever made and while it does work in all water temps it seems to be one of if not the best crank for colder water, good luck.

#22 bandsr4me20

bandsr4me20

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 06:46 PM

Id be using a single or double colorado blade spinnerbait in that dirty water and forget the jerkbait. Keep using the crankbaits though.

#23 Michael DiNardo

Michael DiNardo

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 07:35 PM

Are you fishing "suspending" jerkbaits? Don't know the water temp you are fishing, but if they are floating when you stop the bait, rather than suspending, you may be fishing too fast. Just a thought.

Mike

#24 Trickerie

Trickerie

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 09:39 PM

Jerkbaits are really good fish catchers but as others have said, they are a clear water bait and happen to be one of my favorites but in dirty water forget it. In order to catch fish on cranks you first need confidence in the lure itself, and the only way to do that is by catching a fish or 2 so I have some suggestion to help you. The nex time you go fishing, use your plastics like normal and once you get a bite or catch a fish remember the spot and how deep it was. For example, if you were fishing a piece of cover and caught the fish close to it in say 3 feet of water, look to fish a shallow area with a shallow diving crank. Parallel the shore line at that depth and you will get bit. Most anglers who haven't caught fish on crankbaits either have been fishing them in areas with no fish or they just haven't fished with them very much. Learn the crankbait by focusing on shallow cranks first and then move to mid depth ones and finally deep divers, by the time you begin to fish with deep diving baits you will have caught enough fish on shallow and medium divers to have confidence in them. out of all the crankbaits on the market there is one you need to get and that is the Rapala shad rap, a shad rap #5 is good on spinning gear fished in water 5 to 7 feet deep, it runs about 5 or 6 feet on a decent cast and more importantly it is probably the most effective cool or cold water crankbait ever made and while it does work in all water temps it seems to be one of if not the best crank for colder water, good luck.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to give that a try. My most confident bait at the moment is without a doubt a bad shad colored skinny dipper on a gamakatsu weighted swimbait hook. Ive caught more fish with that than anything. So, next time im ripping them out, ill switch to a crank right away.

I checked out the shad rap. Loving what I see. I think both the bluegill and baby bass, and maybe even the silver would work well in my lakes.

#25 IneedAnewScreenName-972354

IneedAnewScreenName-972354

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 12:41 AM

With the lack of cover to work around, I would watch for any open water schooling activity and then throw the jerk bait. With the crankbait you might look at your rod and line size. You can let a lipless bait fall and it will stay pretty much at that depth on the retrieve until it starts getting back to the boat. With a diving crankbait, part of your retrieve is getting it down and part of it the bait is coming up again leaving only a portion where the bait is running at it's intended depth. Make sure you can make very long cast and watch your line size so you can get the bait at the depth you want it.

Good Luck!

#26 Jim_M

Jim_M

Just fish...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 07:27 AM

Had no results with cranks myself. Then, quite by accident, I got strikes when the crank would smack into things likes rocks, logs and generally the bottom.
Came to realize (late) that this is expected and common.
the most interesting man in the world

#27 HEEF

HEEF

Would fish in a puddle if there were fish!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 08:57 AM

not going to lie, Rapala X-rap. One hell of a jerk/slash bait! was killing them up north in NY in the summer. Lakes up there are crystal clear though. I have fished it down on Smith Mountain Lake in cloudy water. Had a few fish on the ghost white color. I think that the X-rap is worth a shot if you are looking at picking up some jerkbaits.
'If they don't find you handsome, They'll sure find you handy'