Sign in to follow this  
bama_bassin

5" - 6" Hollow Belly Swim Baits

Question here. What's the best way to throw a hollow body around grass? What swim bait hooks are the best, etc? Also, what kind of line do you use / size?

I haven't really embraced the swim bait craze, but from reading on here and seeing people catching a lot, I think I need too. Just looking for some help/ advice. Thanks.

I like the Gamakatsu Monster EWG hooks. You can use any line you like for hollow bellies. I prefer 14# fluorocarbon.

This is one of my all-time great smallmouth baits. I use the 5.5" SK Shadalicious swimbaits and rig them on a 6/0 weighted swimbait hook. Here's a picture of my rigging:

SwimbaitHooks001.jpg

Very weedless and heavy enough to slow crawl along the bottom in the snaggiest of cover. This particular hook by Cadman is made of non-lead, in order to adapt to our new regulations starting this year. This bait is also great for pike, so if they inhabit the waters you fish, make sure you add a bit of steel leader ahead of it. Some folks prefer heavy fluoro, but I find I get better action with the thinner steel. Doesn't seem to affect my strike ratio any. :)

I throw a bunch of different plastic swimbaits. Some hollow, most are solid plastic. Generally I'll fish something with a boot style tail (skinny dipper, big ez, roboworm ez shad, etc) in dirtier water, or thicker grass. I'll use something with a more natural swimming motion (LFT magic shad) in clearer or sparser cover. For the most part a MH or H powered rod and braid are all that I need. If the water is very clear, I'll throw on a fluoro leader in the 17 to 20 pound range. As far as hooks go, I use an Owner Beast keel weighted hook 90% of the time. If I'm in just open water without much to get hung on, then I'll switch over to a traditional swimbait jighead like a big hammer hammer head or something similar. Match the hook size to the bait and toss it out and bring it back.

Thx. You use a mh rod? I have a powell swim jig tod that I think would be good.

Yes, I throw mine on a 6'6" MH/F rod.

Yes, I throw mine on a 6'6" MH/F rod.

X2. I like 6.4:1 for hollow bodies.

Best Hook- Moaner Swimbait 5/0 or 6/0.

Best line- 17-25lb fluoro or 20-25lb Big Game in Grass and Trash.

Reel- anything from 5.4-7.1.