Sign in to follow this  
logan9209

Hula Popper Help

Until I get my Spook replaced I am left with the hula popper, buzzbait and the KVD Sexy Frog. Since the hula popper is the only one I've gotten hits off of yet I need to know something. Yesterday while I finally started getting bass on the black/blue Rooster, I noticed someone was fishing with a hula popper. But his retrieve was: pop, stop, pop, stop, pop, stop. Literally just as fast as you read that. Does that work? I've always done a pop, stop, wait retrieve. For example: pop, pop, stop, wait for rings to fade or pop, pop, pop, stop, wait for rings to fade.

I'm going to my favorite point this weekend and the first couple of hours are always good for topwater there, so any help would be good.

You should try a variety of retrieves every time out and see what the bass want. Sometimes they will hit on one just sitting on the water after one pop and other times you will need to move it back to the boat with a steady pop-pop-pop.

Ah. Okay, I was under the misguided notion that if you did a steady pop back to you then it would spook (no pun intended) the bass. Thank you.