Sign in to follow this  
LunkerLust

Long Casts When Jig Fishing?

When you're jig fishing a lake with almost no weeds or pads, in like 10'-20' of water, is it important to make long casts away from the boat. I see a couple of guys fishing this way and was wondering if it was a rule of thumb? They look like they're casting as far as they can!

I guess I'm asking because if you're drop shotting you might throw out the bait only 10' or so.

Yes because when u are fishing at that depth/style u need to cover a lot of water

Of course make long casts with your baits.

When you jig fish with a jig and pig, one usually flips and pitches to close cover in shallow water.

However, there are times when you want to cast to deeper water including drop offs plus points, submerged brushpiles, stumps and rocks.

Remember, when casting a jig and pig, be very watchful of 1) your line and 2) the feel of the bait.

If the line does not sink or moves to the right, left or towards you, set the hook!

If the jig and pig feel different, i.e. no weight or a little weight (you may think it is grass) set the hook!

You can fish a jig and pig in areas where others are fishing Carolina rigs and you will need to make a long cast.

And remember water clarity. If the water is clear they can see you so longer casts are necessary.

Have fun and experiment with your jigs and pigs. Lots fun fishing those baits and you can catch some large ladies.

• Like 1

The longer casts are often harder to feel the bite and/or harder to get a good hookset on or near the end of the cast. As Sam mentioned, long cast are great to search with to locate a bite or pattern. When you're throwing to structure that you know is holding fish, only make a long enough cast that keeps the fish unaware of your presence and gives you the best advantage otherwise.

You can fish a jig and pig in areas where others are fishing Carolina rigs and you will need to make a long cast.

Great statement, I rarely fish a carolina rig and usually will just drag a jig through those areas. For comparison my dad who I fish with often will fish a Carolina rig and I will drag a jig and we will "usually" catch about the same number of fish.

I always fish this way- i think the most important thing is to have your drag set as tight as possible for the long hook sets, and start to dial it back once fish is hooked.

We do this often...sitting in 30+ ft and fishing drops and points anywhere from 12-20ft. Long casts are important in my opinion. I use a stout rod and fast ratio reel, sharp/thin hooks, usually flourocarbon line and anything I can use to help me hook a fish and keep it on. Its a whole different ballgame...and a lot like carolina riggin. Except I feel that you have more options and retreives with the jig. Plus, your always directly connected to the hook. I love it. Crankbait, swimbait, then follow it up with a jig.