Sign in to follow this  
rockchalk06

Floating Braid

In your alls experience, what brand or type size etc, braid floats the best. I have been using Fluoro and when running a top water popper, when I slow down the retrieve the line sinks to fast and it screws up my presentation.

I have read that braid floats. I just bought a spool of 50# Power Pro and used it today. Still some getting use to, but over all kinda happy. I love the no stretch on hook sets and want to use it for my top water rig, but curious to see what floats the best.

Thanks in advance

i can only speak on PP, been using it forever and it does the job, no complaints. if you feel it necessary you can reapply wax to the line, get a chunk of paraffin...

Good choice. Just make sure you use a M action rod to take up the "no stretch" of the braid.

Good choice. Just make sure you use a M action rod to take up the "no stretch" of the braid.

Good point, it is awfully hard to hesitate enough when you get a strike before setting the hook if you are use to the stretch of mono, even Fluoro. It has been years ago when I first started using braid with cranks and top waters, before I learned what NO STRETCH really is! My 8' mono or fluoro leader aren't enough to matter. But the Moderate action gives you that forgiveness you need!

Thanks. My top water rod for the time being is an Abu 6' Medium. Not sure of the tip but the 6' helps when using spook type baits. I'm shore bound.

Good point, it is awfully hard to hesitate enough when you get a strike before setting the hook if you are use to the stretch of mono, even Fluoro. It has been years ago when I first started using braid with cranks and top waters, before I learned what NO STRETCH really is! My 8' mono or fluoro leader aren't enough to matter. But the Moderate action gives you that forgiveness you need!

That was my problem at first when switching to fluoro before I new it sank like a brick. Took me awhile but I got it down. I assume it will be like starting over again.