Sign in to follow this  
BassFishingMachine

Softbaits during this time of month

Ok, I know during these colder months the bass start feeding generally on baitfish such as shad etc. So rapalas, luckycrafts, spinnerbaits work well now because they give the appearance of a baitfish. But what about baits such as the houdini shad, and other soft "baitfish like" imitators, will they work in the cold months also? I have seen a soft stickbait made by YUM with a fishtail on the end of it, and I wondered weather that would be a good choice now too. Also I have heard of smoke and white senkos working good in the cold weather. So what do you guys think? Are soft baits like these a good choice in the cold? Or is sticking with spinnerbaits/rapalas a better idea? And if softbaits like these are a good choice, do you fish them as you would fish a rapala? Or do you fish it like you would an average senko? Let me know what you guys think.

Baitfish imitating plastics will work in cold water.  Like any bait, you need to put them where the bass are.

I personally do not throw too many soft baits in cold water, but when I do, I'm usually pitching around wood or using a Crig and usually after I have located fish holding areas with other baits and the bite has slowed down.

I have a friend who uses the shad colored Ring Frys on Crigs in the fall and he does quite well on them.  

Brad