Sign in to follow this  
james 14

Help With Tournament Strategy

I got back into tourney fishing last year after giving it a brief shot several years ago as a kid. My partner and I have managed fairly well, winning more tournments than any other team in the club. However, I'm not satisfied. I'm not satisfied because for every one we've won there's another we should've won. This isn't a big club and none of the other teams are huge threats so, naturally, we have a few tourneys every season where everyone gets skunked. These are the ones that bother me the most. The ones where all we have to do is go catch a limit and we're going to win.

My partner and I are power fishers to the core. If we can get that bite to work for us we're going to catch 20lbs and lap the field. More often than not, however, power fishing won't get it done. I can't bring myself to slow down and throw a Senko all day but if that's what I need to do to get a limit in the boat I'll do it.

I'm looking for any suggestions on getting that limit. I know things change with the seasons but let's assume locating the fish isn't my problem. This is FL and apparently our fish are tempermental. I know I can go up to AL and fish with my dad and catch 12"er's all day long throw sqaure bills in the creek mouths.

I hope I'm asking this the right way. I know this is the biggest thing I have to work on to further improve my tourney success. I will also say that a typical limit for us involves catching fish 3-4 different ways. Rarely do we pull a limit all on the same 1 or 2 tactics. To me this seems to be the heart of the problem and I'm not quite sure how to fix it.

This is FL and apparently our fish are tempermental<---that would be 50% of it and the other 50% is your fishing pressured fish. You mix both with the fact that there is a bunch of places for bass to hide in most Florida water ways and it paints a good picture of what Florida fishing is all about. You get a cold front and you get the "Florida lock jaw" which is always fun to deal with too. Nevermind when the state desides to do a little weed control...the bass love that. Learning to deal with fishing pressure and how it effects bass would help along with learning how to deal with the above would also help.