provocation

Throwing Ultra Light Jigheads On A Revo Mgx?

Am i able to cast 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 ounce jigheads on a revo mgx and a st.croix legend xtreme 6'10" 1/8 to 5/16 medium casting rod?

Also is this combo balanced because the legend xtreme model i want to buy weights 5.4 oz and i think thats a little heavy for a 380,00$ fishing rod?

I already have the revo mgx and love the reel

There is only one way to find out. In the words of the Nike motto, just do it.  Just know that in the hands of the average schmoe, most people can not cast 1/8 weights and less with a baitcaster in a significant way and most baitcasters don't seem to fare well either and we know the reels that can.

The rod might not flex as it needs to make an ideal cast, but you ought to still cast those lower weights with a little finaggling in the mechanics of your cast. 

I was able to cast a slightly less than 1/8 oz inline spinner with my rod that was rated for 1/2 - 1 3/4oz with my old curado 201DHSV. I had to "finaggle" the mechanics of the cast to compensate for the lure not being able to properly load the rod for an ideal cast.  Still, I was able to get the lure out about 75ft (not that far) without a problem. I imagine that with the right rod, I probably could have gotten farther casts.

The specs of your rod are far closer to the UL weights you wish to cast than my extra heavy rod so I would imagine that you should have far better results.  If a Curado DHSV can cast such a low weight, I think a reel like you Revo ought to do even better.

I hope that you report back with your findings. Good luck!

• Like 1

X2 nice post. The revo mgx is a sweet looking reel. It should be able to toss some light stuff but I think 1/8oz is going to be the cutoff for good accurate and desirable distanced casts.

Report back!

Baits in the 1/8 oz range need to be thrown on spinning gear... Not that you can't on a baitcaster but if you have any wind it's not worth the hassle.

I use a 7'ml Extreme spinning rod.

• Like 1

He was just wondering if he could and I say why not? At the very least it will be a learning experience. And it can help with his casting technique. I actually have casted 1/8oz baits very well in 10mph wind with casting gear on the right rod and reel.