Sign in to follow this  
rmcguirk

Rod Repair Question

I have a Fenwick Elite Tech 6'10" BC rod.  The reel seat is broken.  The seat is one of those that screws down from the top to lock in the reel.  The part that screws down is a cork piece, with a "female" threaded part inside.  The "male" threaded part that it screws down onto is loose and it slides up and down on the rod.  It is clear that it used to be locked in with some type of glue or epoxy, as there is still some residue on the rod.  Any suggestions on the type of epoxy or glue I should use to reseat that threaded piece?  

Thanks in advance.

Rick

You can go to mudhole.com and there are many different epoxy's. U-40 is a good product that is a two part epoxy that you mix 50/50.

I would put your reel in reel seat after you apply epoxy to make sure your reel seat lines up. Clean off eccess epoxy with alcohol and let sit over night without touching.

May want to use rubber bands or twist ties to secure everything. I think a 4oz set is 10$ and is more than u will need. They may have cheaper just look around site.

Hope this helps

I had the same problem with a Sellus rod. I slid the plastic male piece up, put super glue on the rod where it was supposed to be, then slid the sleeve back down onto the glue. Let it sit for 20 minutes, good as new.

I have a Fenwick Elite Tech 6'10" BC rod.  The reel seat is broken.  The seat is one of those that screws down from the top to lock in the reel.  The part that screws down is a cork piece, with a "female" threaded part inside.  The "male" threaded part that it screws down onto is loose and it slides up and down on the rod.  It is clear that it used to be locked in with some type of glue or epoxy, as there is still some residue on the rod.  Any suggestions on the type of epoxy or glue I should use to reseat that threaded piece?  

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Hi Rick. Mike at DVT does excellent rod work as well as servicing reels. Have you tried contacting him? Even if you don't send the rod to him, he is really good about offering his suggestions to help you fix the rod in the best possible manner.