Sign in to follow this  
retiredbosn

2013 Bionic Blade Reels....

Does anyone have one. This year the BBlade reel gets an aluminum frame, 6 bearings, dual braking system, and a paint job to make it a Revo S clone. I really like the Pro Qualifier, but the blades now have near equal specs. Just has me thinking when the Spring Classic sale comes around these should be a sweet deal. BPS will have to revamp the PQ soon, as the lower end reels now have the same or better specs.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Bionic-Plus-Baitcast-Reels/product/1207260456523/

The new Bionic Plus reel has certainly been upgraded, but it does not have the dual-braking system (mag and centrifugal) that the RC, PL, PQ, CL, etc. have been using for a while now.  The Bionic has the "Smart Cast" system originally introduced on the Enigma.  If you check on-line or in the catalog, you'll see that the Tourney Special reel has also been upgraded to the Smart Cast system.

Smart Cast IS a dual system - but it's two centrifugal systems. One system is the traditional system where the centrifugal force from the spool rotation throws the brake shoes out against an outer brake drum. Added to that is a second centrifugal system where the brake shoes are springloaded to act against an inner brake drum. Spool rotation forces the inner brake shoes away from the inner drum until the rotation slows enough where the spring pressure outweighs the centrifugal forces and the inner brake shoes are then pressed by their springs against the inner drum. So, the outer system works traditionally at the beginning of the cast, the inner system engages near the end of the cast.

Both the inner and outer systems can have different brake shoe combinations engaged. There is an external system to select some of the options, other combinations are said to be manually adjustable on the spool.  BPS has been tinkering with the adjustment methods and I believe that there are at least two versions of how it's done - one used on the first iteration of the Enigma, and another version used on the later Enigma. I don't know if any changes were made to the adjustment system for the new Bionic Plus and Tourney Special.

I have heard that the system works very well - but it might be complicated for a beginner to adjust....and the system is targeted at beginners primarily.

Like I said when the Enigma was first introduced - PROPS to BPS (and their OEM) for coming up with a totally new braking system. However, I guess the jury is still out as to whether this is a great solution to a problem...or whether it's an answer to a question that no one asked.... :lol:

Hmmmm.....Chronarch went white and black, then Abu Revo S went white and black, now the Bionic Blade reel from BPS? Copy cats.

Hmmmm.....Chronarch went white and black, then Abu Revo S went white and black, now the Bionic Blade reel from BPS? Copy cats.

Abu totally copied the chronarch. I could see if maybe they were trying to match their best selling rod that was also black and white but this is not the case..... Oh wait...yeah

Abu totally copied the chronarch. I could see if maybe they were trying to match their best selling rod that was also black and white but this is not the case..... Oh wait...yeah

Im not buying it, lol