Sign in to follow this  
eyedabassman

Float-N-Fly Jig Weights??

What are the weights that you guys are fishing for this rig? I was looking at some 1/64 oz. and some 1/16 oz. too small?

I don't fish this very often at all, but years ago, when this technique was first written about I bought a couple of float-n-fly kits, hand tied jigs, made out of "craft hair", whatever that is, from Charlie Nichols, I think.  Those jigs were all 1/16.   They were all slightly different colors of shad.  1 & 1/2"to 2".   If you absolutely had to have a faster drop on the initial cast, you could probably go heavier, I guess.  You could go as heavy as your bobber would support, I'd guess.

I have a few questions, I don't under stand why this rig won't work in the spring and summer for deep water bass or bass on beds in water up to 10 ft.? I guide and I guide at night and I would think it would be cool to fish with a bobber that lights up.I fish alot of deep water in the summer, so what do you guys think or would I be wasting my time on this rig in spring and throught the summer?

I think I will give it a try! Our bass season opens the first Sat. in May and the water can range from upper 40's the mid 50's so it should be ok then. And I will give it a try in the spawn and deep water summer bass.And the worst thing for me is,if it does not work for me spawn/summer.I will be moving down to Table Rock late this year so I then can fish it next winter on the RocK.

No one talks about the slip-bobber why? Everyone seems to like the 3 way with a fixed tag.Does a slip bobber not work well on this rig? Just trying to refine it before I give it a try.