Sign in to follow this  
Toeshots

Tips For A Spot I Found

Found a stream to fish today that is about 50 yards across and has some current. Not a crazy amount, but enough to move my jig around. The bottom is all rocks/boulders and maybe 5 feet deep. Water is a little dirty but not super low-vis.

Today I was throwing a black/blue 1/4 oz jig with craw trailer and was slowly dragging it over the rocks on the bottom. Was also pitching into the pockets with no current to see if something was sitting in there. I only had about 45 min to fish and didn't catch anything, which was not all that surprising.

Anyways, what kind of tactics should I be using to fish this area? There is also a bridge with a few pilings in this area. I would have given those a shot today if I had more time. To give you an idea of climate/temps, I am in the SW suburbs of Chicago and this was the only body of water that was not frozen.

This looks like a good area and I am looking forward to trying it again soon when I have more time. If you guys have any suggestions for me, I can take those with me on my next outing. Thanks!

First I would find out what species the creek has in it. Just because it looks "bassy" doesn't mean bass are present. Second I would probably do some exploring by foot or looking on Google earth to see what areas may have the best structure and have deeper pools. Generally the fish in smaller creeks wont be too big so try downsizing your baits. Smaller tubes, 4 inch senkos, shakey head worms, smaller finesse jigs, and even in-line spinners would be good choices. I might start with a small grub or tube as a starting point.

Also winter is a tough time to fish. There may be fish present but will be very lethargic. You could try a slip bobber with live bait and see how that fairs...

I fish in the south west suburbs a lot and other places outside of chicago. I like throwing crawfish colored crankbaits from upstream and even downstream to get reaction bites.  Look for the line in which the current stops  and where the water is standing still at that line there is usually bass. Even if your spot is not good now it can be when it warms up.  

The creek is tied to the DuPage river, which is a decent size body of water. I also should have mentioned that the first thing you see is a sign stating that smallmouth must be at least 15".

I will definitely Google Earth it to see if anything can be picked out and I do realize the fishing is going to be tough this time of year. I probably made less than 20 casts in the 45 min time I was fishing if that gives you an idea for the speed I was working the jig.

I fish in the south west suburbs a lot and other places outside of chicago. I like throwing crawfish colored crankbaits from upstream and even downstream to get reaction bites. Look for the line in which the current stops and where the water is standing still at that line there is usually bass. Even if your spot is not good now it can be when it warms up.

Thanks for the reply and the tip. I was thinking that bouncing a squarebill crank off the rocks then letting it pause might be a good tactic.

I do have a few craw colored cranks that I will give a try next time out.

The creek is tied to the DuPage river, which is a decent size body of water. I also should have mentioned that the first thing you see is a sign stating that smallmouth must be at least 15".

I will definitely Google Earth it to see if anything can be picked out and I do realize the fishing is going to be tough this time of year. I probably made less than 20 casts in the 45 min time I was fishing if that gives you an idea for the speed I was working the jig.

Thanks for the reply and the tip. I was thinking that bouncing a squarebill crank off the rocks then letting it pause might be a good tactic.

I do have a few craw colored cranks that I will give a try next time out.

Pm the location of where you are at.  Also the  squarebill can be killer I always do well with rapala shad raps in those creeks.  Stop and go retrieve, sometimes i fish it like a jerkbait. 

Try a topwater...my and my friend fig streams all the time and we either use strike king mini buzzes in all white or this might sound crazy but a 6 inch zoom lizards swam weightless over the surface...it might sound crazy but we wear the smallies out on it

Try a topwater...my and my friend fig streams all the time and we either use strike king mini buzzes in all white or this might sound crazy but a 6 inch zoom lizards swam weightless over the surface...it might sound crazy but we wear the smallies out on it

Not a crazy tactic at all , I know a lot of people that do that. 

It really works...and none of my fishing buddies believe me untill I catch 5 or 6 fish and they only have 1 or 2 throwing normal Texas rigs or small cranks