Hey everyone. I have been fishing most of my life, but I just started Bass fishing this last summer, and I am getting kind of addicted I think. I am just trying to find some advice from anyone that is familiar with the Northern Colorado area. I live just south of the Wyoming border a little ways off of 287. I've watched nearly every video on this site and read dozens of the articles. I think I am getting the basics down, though I'm no professional. I don't have a boat, and not a lot of money to put into tackle. Any advice/pointers or tips on where to go (and what to use) around these parts would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

use google maps and find small/secluded ponds. you will have much more success on unpressured water.  it looks like ur area is peppered with great water holes.  try this with technique with any soft plastic you have laying around:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/13845-guaranteed-to-catch-bass/

Hey, thanks for the information. I'll remember this when I'm having problems. The ponds and small waters around here are actually what I have been on, pretty exclusively. I'm not really having a problem catching anything in them, but I'm starting to get frustrated with not being able to catch anything bigger than a 2 pounder. Have you got any tips for catching larger fish from the shore? I know that usually bigger waters mean bigger fish, but i'm not sure where to go exactly. I know I really need to get a boat, but that's a bit too expensive for me right now. Thanks for the response ClackerBuzz.

get a kayak!  cheap and easy way to get around. its a whole new fishing world once you get off shore.

there are BIG fish in ur small ponds, especially if there isn't alot of pressure and no one is eating them. what are you catching them on now? a jig and/or 6"+worm are two proven big fish baits. as a general rule of thumb, a slower presentation (dragging) catches bigger fish. of course you can go much faster and erratic in the spring and fall.  cast a jig out and count down. you will be able to judge depth and tell which shore line has the access to the deepest water.  work that area. muddy coves generally hold smaller fish.  bass like a 'clean' bottom so take note when ur jig hits rocks or comes back with clean mulched leaves. those areas are ariated and fish will relate to them.  obiously stumps and logs.  and note 'green' weeds.  bass love healthy green weeds b/c the small bait fish will be there too.  there are tons of threads on locating big fish in small ponds. let me do some research for ya

Yeah, I was just looking to see how much renting a boat would cost. It seems that their are a lot of crawdads in the ponds I have been fishing, so I have had quite a bit of luck with those on a texas rig. Generally watermelon/green pumpkin in color. I have had a little bit of luck on some spinners late in the evening, and some shallow crank baits this last fall. I haven't had a chance to get out since the lakes froze over early winter and are just starting to thaw. I was thinking about a standing jig with 6-10" worm for the coming pre-spawn, though fishing spawn and pre-spawn is new to me this year. I just got started bass fishing when I found this site about June of last year. 

Elkhead Reservoir near Craig has lots of nice smallmouth and some largemouth as well. The Yampa River is crown jewel for smallies in some stretches, with fish in the 3 - 5 pound range pretty common. Just make sure you release every fish in the Yampa because they USFWS and Colorado Parks And Wildlife are killing them for no reason because they think they hurt native chubs and suckers.

Hey, thanks for the information. I'll look into that.

I am from NOCO as well. The biggest bass I have caught in CO was 9 lb 5 oz on a realiable scale. The spring, starting about april 15st thru the spawn, I start throwing a watermelon lizard on a carolina rig. They can't stand it! After that its a white large single colorado blade spinnerbait. Gitzits and Chompers are also very good baits.

I am from NOCO as well. The biggest bass I have caught in CO was 9 lb 5 oz on a realiable scale. The spring, starting about april 15st thru the spawn, I start throwing a watermelon lizard on a carolina rig. They can't stand it! After that its a white large single colorado blade spinnerbait. Gitzits and Chompers are also very good baits.

Sweet! I was wondering when it actually starts getting warm here. Thanks for that information. Where do you spend most of the time fishing?

I fish several private small lakes that really produce some monster bass. There are also alot of good public spots. I am going to make a circle this summer and spend a day on each of the local lakes too try them all. Keep in touch maybe we can get out!

I fish several private small lakes that really produce some monster bass. There are also alot of good public spots. I am going to make a circle this summer and spend a day on each of the local lakes too try them all. Keep in touch maybe we can get out!

Sounds good man, thanks for the information.