Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Gear Ratio For Crankin

I've been taught that a good ratio for crankbaits is around 5.1:1 to lessen fatigue and give the bait a decent speed.At what gear ratio does a reel become less than ideal for crankbaits.

Personal preference. I've seen some guys who like 7:1 and others who like 5:1 or even less. A "good" or "ideal" ratio exists only for each individual angler.

Its not so much the great ratio as it is the Inches per turn. I like 24-25 for shallow to medium 8 foot depth cranks. For deeper than 8, I like 23.

Its not so much the great ratio as it is the Inches per turn. I like 24-25 for shallow to medium 8 foot depth cranks. For deeper than 8, I like 23.

This although it the IPT varies from reel brands. It also depends on what kind of crankbaits your using.  Lipless and squarebills I like a 6.3:1 with 27-28 IPT.  For anything that dives deeper than 6ft I like a 5.1:1 with a 21 IPT.

See...that's why I love this forum...there's ALWAYS something to learn...and when you learn stuff you can assist the next guy who has that same question...thanks everyone!!!

• Like 1