Sign in to follow this  
james 14

Drilling Holes In Jackplate For Pp Bracket???

Ok I've seen in a couple of places now where guys are drilling holes in the side of their jackplate for their Power Pole bracket rather than going between the motor/jackplate/transom. So long as your jackplate is out of warranty I don't see any problem...am I missing anything?

Depends on what kind of plate you have and size? Mine is a Bobs Hydraulic 6" and it was pre-drilled for PP right from them. It is however a tight squeeze. Make sure you have enough clearance both on the outside where the brackets may lay against any bolts and inside to make sure the bracket hardware wont be hitting anything. I had to get spacers for mine due to obstructions from bolts on the plate. 

I've seen a few more of these and was told by a reputable source that this was an acceptable route to take and is MUCH easier than mounting between the motor and plate. My JP is 10" so I shouldn't have any issues with clearance unlike some of the others who needed spacers.

I wonder if I can get a big L-shaped piece of alum to use instead of the $150 bracket???

I have seen some people make there own but it wasnt as nice looking. I guess if you have the tools needed to make one and paint it than it should be the same. You are spending a bunch on the PP so why not just get the right bracket for a little more? That way you are covered by them if anything were to go south....