Anyone ever have the motor housing magnets break loose and lock up the TM.  I was out the other day and hit a submerged shoal with my 150 Merc and needed to get to shore so I could check things out and the TM was working fine at that point.  When I saw the extent of the damage (details in another post) I called BoatUS for a tow back to the ramp; during my conversation with the towboat captain I told him I was currently soft grounded and safe, he told me I needed to get to deeper water so he could hook me up and wouldn’t have to charge me for a un-grounding.  So I made my way to deeper water while fighting a headwind; at one point I decided to put the TM on high speed and a few seconds later I hear a knock from the TM and I go dead in the water.  When I pulled the TM I found I could not rotate the prop.  This has happened to me years before when I had a Johnson TM; it had rubber magnets on the inside wall of the motor housing and one had broken loose which jammed the armature.

Hopefully Mare Inc. can replace the housing without needing a complete new motor.

I heard about it several times.

The pounding in rough water with the motor stowed is usually the cause.

There are a lot of G forces put on the bow in wakes and waves.

I heard about it several times.

The pounding in rough water with the motor stowed is usually the cause.

There are a lot of G forces put on the bow in wakes and waves.

I agree Wayne, I've heard the same over the years.

I've also been told by a service tech that TM that are stored uncovered outside in the sun for extended periods can bake the magnets adhesive making it brittle and subject to separation.  Some TM mounts automatically park the Tm's motor in the same position over and over, and the sun gets the motor casing very hot.  Given enough time a failure can occur.

I never did cover my Johnson Tm that was mounted on a 14' Jon boat, but back then I did beat my way through a lot of weeds and stalks that caused heavy vibrations; that's my only guess about the Johnson separation.

But I have seen my TM bouncing on my Ranger; I even stop the boat at times to strap the TM down, but the position of my strap does not secure the motor housing and it still bounces some.  Maybe I need a second strap closer to the motor housing?

Maybe you need to replace some parts on your motor mount so it keeps tension on the motor against the mount pads.

Yea, heat sure would affect the adhesive.

I had four of those OMC motors, only thing I had issues with was breaking the steering cable.

One of the best trolling motors ever made.

Maybe you need to replace some parts on your motor mount so it keeps tension on the motor against the mount pads.

Yea, heat sure would affect the adhesive.

I had four of those OMC motors, only thing I had issues with was breaking the steering cable.

One of the best trolling motors ever made.

Other than the magnet I never had another problem with it.

The Motorguide locks down OK, but there is nothing to hold the motor housing tight onto the mount.

Edit: additional info:

The motor housing nose end, and prop end, can lift easily; but it takes more to life the entire motor.

gallery_35950_341_405628.jpg

gallery_35950_341_1061528.jpg