mathnerdm

Any Experience With This Rod/reel?

Hey so I had another thread on what budget (and I mean budget lol) rod and reels yall recommend, the rod that seems like everyone could agree on was the Berkley Lightning Rod Shock. But before I go out and purchase that + the reel, this rod/reel is currently on sale and in that thread I had heard good stuff about Abu Garcia, so what do you think of this combo for a cheap set. http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_161411_-1__?N=78002898&Ntt=abu+garcia&Ntk=All 

Is a rod like this capable of using light spinnerbaits along with plastics like worms? Or are there really no rods that can do both? What I'd like is just a multi-purpose beginner rod. So what do you guys think?

I think that will fit what you are looking for. That is a steal if you get it for 30 bucks any way you look at it. And if you don't like it sensativity wise for worms then go that direction when you get your next combo.

Well, your alternatives for a combo at $30 bucks probably all say Shakespeare or Zebco on them.  Go for it.

That was my first baitcaster and as of now only baitcaster. I bought it on sale for $40. It's a good little setup, but you will have a hard time casting it. I use mine a lot but it's started to sound geary. I've had it 3 months, used it in the salt, and still haven't cleaned it, so that's probably what it needs. The rod is ok, but the lure specs are way off. It's rated for 1/4-1 1/4, but I wouldn't through any thing over 3/4 on it. I know in your other post you asked about using it for T-Rigs and spinnerbaits. This would fit the bill real well. Your able to get some accuracy with it, but also sling some baits out a pretty good way. You probably picked the best two rigs for a multi-rig rod. Spinnerbait rods and Texas rig rods are probably the closet to the same as any other two rods. I would say that for a lot of guys they're the same. 

I've caught some nice dinks with that reel. Lol.