Sign in to follow this  
das028

First Fish With My New Rod!

I broke my g loomis GL2 a few weeks ago while snagged up in some cover and fortunately I purchased the warranty for it. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I wasn't that impressed with it, and at $200 its a very expensive rod for me, at least. Well for the money I paid for that I bought a st. Croix to pair up with my revo, and a cheaper field and stream tec-spec for a really old lews speed spool that I brought back to life. The lews was my fathers, and the bait cast reel I cut my teeth on. So it's got sentimental value to me.

Anyways, I got out late tonight so I figured I'd fish a buzz bait to cover more area with the time I had. I had the buzz bait on my lews/tec-spec, and brought my st. croix/revo with a jig/craw tied on. On my second cast with the buzz bait I was retrieving slow and let the bait pause for a second and bang! A nice bass hit it hard! I could tell it was a "biggin" right away, and it was confirmed when the bass jump out of the water and spit my bait right back at me! Quite rudely, I also might add...haha. Anyways I followed up with my jig/craw in the same spot and caught this guy. It wasn't the same fish but it was nice. Didn't have a scale or tape measure on me, but I'd say it was about 14-15 in maybe 2 lbs.

It's nothing special but its always cool to "pop the cherry" on a new rod, so i thought i'd share with you fine gentlemen/women. Still need to get my first one on that tec-spec/ lews combo I just paired up. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

• Like 1

Whoops didn't attach file

post-43585-0-10841000-1376445241.jpg

Congrats man!  I love catching my first fish on a new rod.  Heck even catching a fish on a new lure is fun!

Yep, always nice to know your new rods and reels can produce some good strikes and land some nice fish.

Congrats and may all of your future bass be larger than the first one you caught!

Nothing like breaking in a new rod

I advise people to shop at Academy Sports if you have them! Their warranty policy is simply AMAZING. If you have your receipt you can take back rods or reels no matter when you purchased it, my buddy returned his after 4 or 5yrs. If you don't have the receipt, let's saw you purchased it somewhere else but Academy carries the product, then they look it up and give you the difference towards another rod or reel purchase or simply give you store credit for anything u may want to buy. I love this store they have came through for me in so many ways