Sign in to follow this  
Topwater98

Painting Lures

I am just getting started making lures. and was thinking about painting my first wooden lure today. I was wondering if you can put a Rust-Oleum crystal clear enamel coating over acrylic paints? Thanks for any help

Lure finishes have 3 functions:  looking pretty, keeping water out of the bait, and preventing damage from impacts and abuse.

When you paint a wood lure with water based acrylic paint, you need to undercoat the bait first with a waterproof coating to keep the acrylic paint from raising the grain of the wood.  Then you need a waterproof, durable topcoat to keep the acrylic paint dry.  Many guys use a slow cure epoxy like Devcon Two Ton for undercoating and topcoating because it's strong, adds protection from water intrusion, and will not react with solvent based coatings you might use in finishing the bait.  Solvent based finish products contain a variety of solvents, some of which will react badly with other solvent based products, causing bubbling, etc.

I can't speak specifically to spray enamel since I've never used it, but I would suggest coating the lure with it before you paint, as an undercoating, and also afterwards to protect the acrylic paint.  Let it dry thoroughly after undercoating, for a few days.  My guess is that it will not be nearly as durable as other choices like epoxy or moisture cured urethanes but it may serve for at least awhile.  Acrylic paint contains no solvent, so coating it with a clear enamel should not cause a problem.