backcast88

Saros Vs Symetre Vs Revo Sx

I am looking to get a new spinning reel this year.  I have narrowed it down to the Saros, Symetre, and Revo SX.  The Revo SX is more then I really want to spend but if it is worth the extra money then I could probably swing the extra money.  I have handled the Shimano's the most and really like the Symetre.  I can't decide if the Saros is worth the extra money. 

Anybody have some input?

I skipped over the Symetre and Saros in favor of the Stradic.

HOWEVER, I think both reels are excellent reels and you really can't go wrong with either one.

I'd also throw a Lexa into the mix, as I'd probably choose it if I were picking today. I've got the 2000 series Lexa and find it an excellent reel.

So I'm a Shi-Daiwa guy, LOL.

I had the SX for a bit. Its a nice reel, but I'm not sure it's any better than anything else closer to $100. You do get a spare spool. I haven't used one, but from playing with reels at the store, I would second the Lexa.

I am looking to get a new spinning reel this year.  I have narrowed it down to the Saros, Symetre, and Revo SX.  The Revo SX is more then I really want to spend but if it is worth the extra money then I could probably swing the extra money.  I have handled the Shimano's the most and really like the Symetre.  I can't decide if the Saros is worth the extra money. 

Anybody have some input?

The Revo SX reels are great reels but if your not looking into spending the money on it there's another great reel from Abu Garcia called the Orra SX. This is a great 9 bearing reel with a very smooth and strong drag system. It also comes with a Braid ready spool and another deep line capacity spool. 

I have no specific experience with any of those reels other then trying them in the store. That being said I do have a couple Stradic FJs and a Stradic CI4+. I've also had experience with several Daiwa spinning reels, older Penns, and a Pflueger.

In my opinion the line management features on the Shimano's really work, and xship truly improves the smoothness and power of a spinning reel. For my money in that price range I'd go with one of the Shimano's. Others may have different experiences

But as we all say, go with what feels best and most comfortable for you. Don't make a decision you'll second guess.

In my opinion the line management features on the Shimano's really work, and xship truly improves the smoothness and power of a spinning reel. For my money in that price range I'd go with one of the Shimano's. Others may have different experiences

But as we all say, go with what feels best and most comfortable for you. Don't make a decision you'll second guess.

As a fan of both Shimano and Diawa, I will admit to no experience on the water with the X-ship, which both the new Symetre and Saros have. Have heard nothing but good about it.

Concerning line management on the Lexa and Stradic FI, they're relatively even, but I'd give the nod to the Lexa for a tighter wind on the spool. Just my experience with the 2 Stradics and 1 Lexa I have.

To the OP: I don't think you could go wrong with either the Symetre, Saros, or Lexa. All would be excellent choices, especially if you have any plans to do salt in addition to fresh, as they're all rated either/or. Not sure the Abu are rated for both.

I like the Shimano's the best and will try each of them on the exact rod I will be using to see which feels the best. I'll also look at the Lexa. I have several Daiwa's now and they work great. I had a cheap Shimano years ago and had a few issues with it but I'll give their higher end reels a try and see how they work.

I went to Bass Pro and looked at all the reels nad put them on the exact rod the reel will go on.  Here are my finding:

1. Revo SX is out.  It looks great, the foam grip is pretty nice.  It feels pretty sturdy but it wasnt that smooth.  For $159 I wasn't really that impressed with it. 

2. Saros is out.  I like the Saros but for the money I don't think it offers anything more then the Symetre. 

So your probably thinking the Symetre is what I will purchase.  You would be correct had the girl behind the counter not handed me the Stadic FJ.  I know her very very well and she knows I use a spinnig reel mos of the time and did a great job explaining the difference between the Shimano's I was looking at.  It is more then I wanted to spend but dang its nice.  It balances very well on the rod and is rock solid.  Luckily I have some rewards points saved up so it won't really cost me anymore in the long run. 

Now I have to sell a couple reels and a rod to help finance the new purchase.  Then a Stradic FJ 3000 will be mine!!

The reels came in Thursday and I picked them up this morning.  The Symetre is great.  Very smooth drag, casts great, lightweight, and smooth cranking.  I already took it to a small pond at work and caught several bass on a drop shot.  Most were 1-1.5 lbs.  I did catch 1 that was 3.5 lbs or so.

The Stradic on the other hand isn't so great.  Its a beautiful reel but its making a weird noise and isn't smooth at all.  Its totally opposite of every other Stradic I have handled.  The place doesn't stock Shimano reels so they will have to order me another one and I will swap them when the new one arrives.