Sign in to follow this  
dtruesdell24

50 Or 65Lb Braid?

I just got a new 7' H for flipping, pitching, topwater frogs, all the stuff you need heavy gear for. Should I go with 50lb or 65lb braid? Will there be sensitivity gained or lost with either of the two? 

No gain or loss in sensitivity. Go with 65lb for the techniques listed

Doesn't matter, both are plenty strong.  I would go with whichever is cheaper or if you want a little more line on your reel then go with the 50lb.

Doesn't matter, both are plenty strong.  I would go with whichever is cheaper or if you want a little more line on your reel then go with the 50lb.

There is only a dollar or two price difference between the two. I am not going to fully load my reel with braid. I will use mono as backing. Will 15lb or 12lb mono be good enough for 65lb braid?

Mono backing doesn't really matter so 15 or 12 will work for sure. You shouldn't ever get into the backing but if you do, make sure your knot is good lol

I was actually asking myself this same question the other day. Just got a new Curado setup and spooled it with PP 50lb.

I've used both in the past for heavy cover frogging, and never had a break off.....not once.

I did find the 65lb was a bit easier to pick out backlashes though, which in my case still happen more frequently than I'd like :)

I was actually asking myself this same question the other day. Just got a new Curado setup and spooled it with PP 50lb.

I've used both in the past for heavy cover frogging, and never had a break off.....not once.

I did find the 65lb was a bit easier to pick out backlashes though, which in my case still happen more frequently than I'd like :)

I was just going to buy a curado at dsg but it was $130 not the $100 other people got it for. How do you like it?

Well, to be honest I got it in late November, and here in Indiana the winter hasn't been too kind to us so I haven't been able to really put it to the test.

That said, I was able to take it out and cast it, in to a uncommonly high river around here, but I was able to get out for a bit just to see how it worked and felt with my also new Crucial rod, spooled with 50lb PP. I also applied a good amount of KVD L&L.

It seems to cast like a bullet. I've used a couple of my buddy's Curado's in the past and they're great. On the forums here it seems the Curado G gets a bit of bad rap, apparently it's not built quite as solid as the Curado's from years past, but the reel seems very solid so I'm confident that it'll do well for me. I'm more of a 1-2 times a week kind of fisherman, maybe 5hrs a week average, so I'm definitely not beating it to death, and my buddy hasn't had any issues with his whatsoever and he's a tournament angler, usually one a week during summer months.

I'd say go for it, I have a couple others and it's every bit as good, if not better than the other comparably priced ones I have. I didn't get mine during any sales, I picked mine up from an Amazon.com sale for about $120 with free shipping.