Sign in to follow this  
livetofish28

Winter Time Topwater?

I meant to post this a while back but it didn't cross my mind until now anyway I was cat-fishing on the bank back in December and it was cold like edges of lake frozen cold. I had just made a cast and set my rod into the holder and as I was sitting down a group of ducks came by with a couple smaller ones. As they turned around one of the smaller ones sort of got separated from the group, and the biggest largemouth I have ever seen launches itself clear out of the water and grabs this duck and it just disappears the water settles and nothing like it never happened except for the fact that the ducks flew away. On this topic do you think you'd have any luck with a bird type topwater this time of year or is it a one time deal?

Tight lines

Andrew

I don't think it would need to be a bird type topwater. Obviously, wintertime is not considered prime time for topwater. However, fish are unpredictable and if you are so inclined, it couldn't harm to spend a few minutes fishing on top just to see if anything happens.

one time deal but in the right conditions fish can be caught on top all throughout the year.  I have caught largemouth and smallmouth on top with water temps in the low 40's but it was only when i saw action on top already on a warm day.

Winter for me is a little different, being in Florida....but my topwater bite has shut off unless I throw into action I see (which has been rare the last few weeks), like flyfisher said.