Sign in to follow this  
RIGRUNNER

Opinions On Setting Up A 6 Rig Arsenal

Hello All! First post and I need some help. I am just getting back into bass fishing and want to update my rigs. Below is what I currently have.....kind of a mix and match over the years.

Casting

Shimano Crucial 6'6" MH Fast - Shimano Curado 100D

Shimano Crucial 7' MH Fast - Shimano Curado 200DHSV

Daiwa TD-602-4RB 6' MH X-Fast - Daiwa Procaster PM10S

Browning Silaflex David Fritz 6'6" Med - Abu Garcia 5000-C

Spinning

BPS Extreme 6' Med - Shimano Stradic 2500FH

Castaway CTX 6'6" Med - Shimano Sedona 4000FD

All Star T38X 845S 7' Med Fast - Shimano Stradic 4000FG

Falcon Original FS-4-17 7' Med Mod Fast - Rod Only

I would like to get a solid 6 rig arsenal and would like your opinion on my current rigs (interchange reel/rods?), the techniques they can cover and what I should switch, replace, add, etc.

Looking to assemble the following typical rigs:

Worm - Texas Rig, Jigs

Flipping/Pitching -

Buzz/Spinnerbaits

Finesse

Top water/Jerkbait

Crankbait

Looking at Shimano Core and Stradic CI4+ reels, maybe Lew's for cranking, Loomis NRX, GLX or Dobyns DX Rods. I will be building this set-up over the next year and would like to know your thoughts on how you would prioritize the new additions.

Thanks!

Looks like you could use a baitcasting crankbait rod. I would grab a 7' MHM first, then trade out one of your MH rods for a heavy - Dobyns 736 or equivalent would fit the bill for flip/pitch/frog.

I don't have any experience with the spinning rods you listed, but for the BC rods I would keep the 7' crucial on deck at all times. Use one of the spinning for finesse, plus the 2 I suggested above and you have 2 more rods to work with stil. Maybe the MM Falcon for jerkbaits and the other crucial for spinners.

Thanks for the reply. Here is what I have been thinking regarding current rigs, noted in () below.

Casting

Shimano Crucial 6'6" MH Fast - Shimano Curado 100D (Spinnerbaits, Buzzbaits, Lipless Crankbaits)

Shimano Crucial 7' MH Fast - Shimano Curado 200DHSV (Worms, t-rigs, jigs)

Daiwa TD-602-4RB 6' MH X-Fast - Daiwa Procaster PM10S (Give to boys)

Browning Silaflex David Fritz 6'6" Med - Abu Garcia 5000-C (dedicate to a catfishing rig)

Spinning

BPS Extreme 6' Med - Shimano Stradic 2500FH (finesse rig, but replace rod)

Castaway CTX 6'6" Med - Shimano Sedona 4000FD - (use for saltwater fishing)

All Star T38X 845S 7' Med Fast - Shimano Stradic 4000FG ( larger finesse rig)

Falcon Original FS-4-17 7' Med Mod Fast - Rod Only (add reel dedicated for saltwater inshore use)

So I guess I need rod/reel suggestions for the following techniques:

Flipping/Pitching

Top water/Jerkbait

Crankbait

I would just switch the curado 200 and 100. The 100d is actually a 50 sized reel and will not cast lipless cranks/spinnerbaits as far as the 200 simply because it has less capacity = more turns of the spool per foot of line out = more energy needed per foot = less distance.

I would buy a curado 100B spool for the 100 D so it is a true 100 size shimano, then use that for t-rigs, jigs, worms. Also, it weighs less than the curado 200 so it will be comfortable to use while doing the slower, bottom contact techniques.

I would buy a curado 100B spool for the 100 D so it is a true 100 size shimano, then use that for t-rigs, jigs, worms. Also, it weighs less than the curado 200 so it will be comfortable to use while doing the slower, bottom contact techniques.

Thanks. I received that suggestions from another forum as well. If I change the spool to a 100b should I not leave it on the spinnerbaits, lipless crank rig? Is the 200 at 7.0:1 not too fast for spinners and the like?

Thanks again, ordered a100b spool regardless.