Sign in to follow this  
jonnyblazex

Any G Loomis Shr822 Rod Reviews?

Any G loomis shr822 shaky head rod reviews? Thinking about picking one up, especially if I can find one at 200 or less. Have always wanted a G loomis, and was wondering how they are for this application. Perfect tip, good fighting power? Supreme sensativity? I would really like to hear Your thoughts on this $250 dollar rod. THANKS!

I would pass on the non-glx version of this rod.  You will be disappointed if you want a Loomis rod, as this rod doesn't have the sensitivity of a traditional Loomis.  The GLX, on the other hand, is very sensitive and light.  It fishes really well.

The older GLX is a terrific rod, and can be found around $200 from time to time.  I would be a little patient and try to pick up one of those used vs. a new SHR822.

Which glx model length and weight would anyone recommend for an ideal shaky head setup? Thanks

I have the NRX 822S SYR, which I like, but I don't find it to be all that more sensitive than the GLX 822S SYR.  Therefore, unless you just want a top of the line rod for sake of having it, then the NRX 822S SYR is your rod.  If you want a rod that will perform at the top of the line level, but not quite top of the line price, I would look at the GLX 822S SYR (though, you may want to consider the 821 or 823 depending on where you want to fish this technique.  The 822 is a good middle of the road).  If you really want to save money, but still have a nice rod, look for a used G Loomis GLX SHR822S.  This is a great shakyhead rod as well (and one I used to have).  If you can stand the ReCoil Guides and the fact the thee Xpeditor Service is no longer available for it, this could be a great choice at a great price.