Sign in to follow this  
figure8racer

Ice Fishing For Bass

Just looking to get some pointers from anybody who has been successful ice fishing for bass. I getting the fishing itch and dnot want to go out and just catch bluegills. I saw on bass pros website some vertical jigging hardbaits that i might give a try. Any info would be great. THanks!

I have found it to be very tough to get bass to bite through the ice, but just like you, I always wanna try and catch 'em anyway. If you're willing to use live bait (I don't), then shiners will catch you a few for you. Other than that, try tiny jigs and grubs on a jigging stick, and bring plenty of beer!

Spoons and jigs tipped with fatheads or grubs have caught me many bass through the ice while jigging for panfish. Just slowly jig about a foot off the bottom. If you have a flasher, put it right in their face and jiggle the rod tip.

Heres my largest ice bass, caught on a swedish pimple with a fathead.

post-13155-130162888268_thumb.jpg

I have my best success using a swedish pimple with a Maki plastic attached horizontal on the single hook. Although i have not caught many with any size, i do always catch a few every time out. If you have never used a Maki Plastic for ice fishing, you are missing out. I was a below average ice fisherman until i found these things, they just flat out catch fish.