Sign in to follow this  
john81

Setup Advice

I just ordered a daiwa z200 with an *** black 7'1" med hvy rod

Im new to bass fishing, what would you use this setup for? What would this combo excel at.

The Zis a heavy reel, I think if you would have grabbed like a 7'6" up to 8' heavy power then you'd have a massive flipping stick and a great swim bait set up. What you have now would be good for jigs, worms, spinnerbaits and basically any single hook presentation there is, I just would have gone in a different direction with the reel choice. The reel is great but it is big and heavy and after using reels from 7.5oz down to 6.2oz exclusively for the last few years it would make that unusable to me but since you are new to bass fishing you might not worry about it. If it were possible I'd cancel that reel and get something like a Zillion, it is no light weight but much better suited to bass fishing techniques with a med-hvy rod than the Z is.

The Zis a heavy reel, I think if you would have grabbed like a 7'6" up to 8' heavy power then you'd have a massive flipping stick and a great swim bait set up. What you have now would be good for jigs, worms, spinnerbaits and basically any single hook presentation there is, I just would have gone in a different direction with the reel choice. The reel is great but it is big and heavy and after using reels from 7.5oz down to 6.2oz exclusively for the last few years it would make that unusable to me but since you are new to bass fishing you might not worry about it. If it were possible I'd cancel that reel and get something like a Zillion, it is no light weight but much better suited to bass fishing techniques with a med-hvy rod than the Z is.

i got the reel mostly for micro jigging in saltwater with vertical jigs. But was trying to do dual purpose for freshwater. i do have some 15-30 gloomis laying around would that rod work better?

i am going to order some more stuff before the tw sale is over also... I do like the t-wing designs so i will probably pick up a few more of the t3 ballistic or the normal t3. Also a couple of rods to go with them

with the TW sale going on, I'd put a Okuma Citrix if you're looking at the sale reels.  It would be a good all around set up for just about anything, jigs, worm, spinnerbait, buzzbait, topwater, traps, etc.  Only thing is when you go to crankbaits, topwaters, and traps(anything with smaller treble hooks), I would back the drag off a bit to soften up the set up as so you don't pull hooks and would probably fish 10-15lb mono, or if you're looking to use braid, 20lb with a topshot of flouro up to about 17lb would work great as well.  If you're looking outside the sale area and like Diawa's, check out the Lexa 100's.

i am going to order some more stuff before the tw sale is over also... I do like the t-wing designs so i will probably pick up a few more of the t3 ballistic or the normal t3. Also a couple of rods to go with them

Sounds like a winner to me.  However, I would go ahead and try the Z200 first.  Lots of people are getting spoiled by todays lighter and lighter reels.  (Sorry, Dan.  :teeth:)  Today the Zillion is considered heavy at a little less than 9 oz. bare.  Doesn't bother me in the least even tho I also fish with a reel that weighs only 6 oz. according to the specs.  Looks to me (from your avatar) like you may be use to fishing with heavier gear.  The 10 oz. Z200 will probably feel light to you.

I see you are a young fellow, but you may still be familiar with how heavy spinning reels of any size are.  When I switched from spinning reels to baitcast reels, I couldn't believe how light they were.  That 9 oz. Zillion feels more like a wisp of smoke.  :teeth3:

Sounds like a winner to me. However, I would go ahead and try the Z200 first. Lots of people are getting spoiled by todays lighter and lighter reels. (Sorry, Dan. :teeth:) Today the Zillion is considered heavy at a little less than 9 oz. bare. Doesn't bother me in the least even tho I also fish with a reel that weighs only 6 oz. according to the specs. Looks to me (from your avatar) like you may be use to fishing with heavier gear. The 10 oz. Z200 will probably feel light to you.

I see you are a young fellow, but you may still be familiar with how heavy spinning reels of any size are. When I switched from spinning reels to baitcast reels, I couldn't believe how light they were. That 9 oz. Zillion feels more like a wisp of smoke. :teeth3:

I still use heavy spinning reels i have a few stellas that are around 15oz to 30oz