Sign in to follow this  
jiggz125

Wi Spawn Patterns

I was wondering if anyone could give me the general timelines of Wisconsin bass pre-spawn, spawn and post pawn. Also what your techniques are during these times in WI lakes. I understand this year may be a little different with one of the coldest winters in 30 years. Thanks in advance.

Wisconsin is a big state. Are you talking Northern or Southern WI? Largemouth or smallmouth? The winter to this point should have no bearing on when the spawn takes place. A few weeks of "normal" weather would put everything back to where it should be.

I fish Northern WI for smallies. Generally the cold water period continues through April. The entire month of May would be pre-spawn with them locking on the beds near the first of June. Post spawn ends around the middle of June. Bigger, deeper lakes start a little later, smaller shallower lakes begin earlier.

I don't fish the cold water period. Pre-spawn, (water temps 50 degrees) I use hard jerkbaits until the action on them slows down right before they move onto the beds. I find them in the 6 foot depths near spawning areas. Topwaters can work well in the late pre-spawn. Once they lock on to the beds, I stop fishing for bass until the post spawn is over.

I catch a lot of largemouth during the month of May but I don't spend a lot of time targeting them. They seem to be behind the smallmouth in their spawning activity. When the smallies are on their beds, the largemouth are still in pre-spawn. When I do fish "greenies", I look for them in shallow, dark bottom bays around cover. Senko type baits are pretty much all that's needed. I often fish with a guy who is too hyper to slow down enough to fish a senko. When I'm with him, I have to power fish so I use lipless crankbaits, jerkbaits and spinnerbaits

I am located an hour north of Green Bay and the info Scott F gave you is about the same here.

Wisconsin is a big state. Are you talking Northern or Southern WI? Largemouth or smallmouth? The winter to this point should have no bearing on when the spawn takes place. A few weeks of "normal" weather would put everything back to where it should be.

I fish Northern WI for smallies. Generally the cold water period continues through April. The entire month of May would be pre-spawn with them locking on the beds near the first of June. Post spawn ends around the middle of June. Bigger, deeper lakes start a little later, smaller shallower lakes begin earlier.

I don't fish the cold water period. Pre-spawn, (water temps 50 degrees) I use hard jerkbaits until the action on them slows down right before they move onto the beds. I find them in the 6 foot depths near spawning areas. Topwaters can work well in the late pre-spawn. Once they lock on to the beds, I stop fishing for bass until the post spawn is over.

I catch a lot of largemouth during the month of May but I don't spend a lot of time targeting them. They seem to be behind the smallmouth in their spawning activity. When the smallies are on their beds, the largemouth are still in pre-spawn. When I do fish "greenies", I look for them in shallow, dark bottom bays around cover. Senko type baits are pretty much all that's needed. I often fish with a guy who is too hyper to slow down enough to fish a senko. When I'm with him, I have to power fish so I use lipless crankbaits and spinnerbaits

Thanks that helps. I fish Largemouth in North Western WI

Well last year some bass spawned underneath the ice.  :undecided:  I don't know if it happens a lot but last year we had one of the longest winters in a long time. I couldn't believe it when i saw balls of baby bass on the fishing opener.