keninaz

Low Profile Kayak Carrier For Suv

I have a new Wilderness Ride 115x that I need to car top to my SUV.

I need something really low profile or something that will remove quickly for my purposes.

My SUV has 20" rims/tires on it and I don't have a whole lot of clearance to the garage door frame as is.

If the mount is quickly removable from the factory rack that would be fine but most I have seen install with screws.

Most mounts so far that I have looked at don't give you any HxWxL information and I am in a area where there is not much to look at.

DO you have crossbars already? I have a swiss cargo 2 in 1 rack I got from Dick's. It has an adjustable upright with the option of laying completely flat to accommodate wider 'yaks. It installs on and off the factory crossbars with no tools, but it does have bolts with hand-turned knobs. I got this one because I wanted to be able to cartop 2 kayaks at once so when my wife comes we can still take one vehicle. If you only ever have to cartop one kayak at a time, another low profile option which would be more economical would be the foam block style carriers.

Yes I do have the factory rack with crossbars.

We just had a Dick's open here not too long about so I will try to see if they carry the unit.

On edit, I just looked and apparently they don't make or don't carry the 2 in 1 anymore, it's now a 3 in 1

Yes I do have the factory rack with crossbars.

We just had a Dick's open here not too long about so I will try to see if they carry the unit.

On edit, I just looked and apparently they don't make or don't carry the 2 in 1 anymore, it's now a 3 in 1

I misspoke. that's the one I have

Do you have multiple kayaks you are carrying?  If you are only carrying one kayak the best thing to do is just strap it to the cross bars with no "kayak carrier."  I know that is what a lot of people do and you don't have any added cost and don't have to remove anything when you get home to put it in the garage. 

• Like 1

And I had thought of that with perhaps some pipe insulation on the crossbars or even a pool noodle.

I was just looking for some lateral support but it may not be needed.

Just put it straight on the crossbars and don't worry about anything up there.  I did it that way for years on my subaru factory racks with no issues.  And any rack that is worth having on top of your vehicle and is strong enough to hold your yak probably will not be easy to remove.  Taking off racks is easier than it used to be but it still is by no means easy and is not something i would want to do after each trip.  What vehicle do you have anyways?  Unless you have some huge off road tires 20" rims are not a factor in overall ride height.  Not to mention the "standard" garage door is 7' tall and most vehicles are only around 6' tall.  My wrangler with 33" tires and a rack is still well under 7' tall.

If your clearance is close though be prepared because you will have a close call or two with the garage door clearance because you forgot it was up there.

I have an '08 Yukon I bought used not to long ago.

Part of my problem is that someone put 20" tires and rims on it so I don't have a whole lot of clearance to my garage door header.

I cannot put the yak on the truck and back out because of that but I thought some sort of low profile saddle would work to just leave on the truck.

I may even just use a pool noodle or pipe insulation on my factory crossbars to cushion the yak and just be done with it.

• Like 1