Sign in to follow this  
FlipnLimits

Shimano Crucial W/ci4 And Gratuitous Shots Of An Antique

For the Shimano fan in you......

Here's the new Crucial I am trying.  First impression is reserved as I haven't fished with it.  But I'm not crazy about the emo cork look but willing to try it.  This is one of the TS rods which reads "Flipping" and it's replacing an older Crucial.  The new Crucial are softer than the old but do seem to have plenty of backbone in MH.  It's 7'7, so it's an inch longer than the previous Crucial. 

Also in the photos you will find the HG and slower version of the Ci4.  It was very nice of Shimano to change the handle color and spool tension knob colors!  When laid on the deck of your rig, there is no question which rod is armed with the slower reel, nice job here, Shimano.

Of course, as I like some antique and older stuff, there's a 1920 Wondereel with its cardboard box and a price tag of $9!  To round it off, an old Hi Tail and an article by Bob Wirth regarding antiques from a 1999 issue of BassMaster mag.  Enjoy

FL

post-46783-0-10613200-1394680966_thumb.jpost-46783-0-78368500-1394680967_thumb.jpost-46783-0-19180400-1394680969_thumb.jpost-46783-0-51482800-1394680970_thumb.jpost-46783-0-03078600-1394680972_thumb.j

• Like 1

I like the way it looks on the Crucial. 

I like the way it looks on the Crucial. 

Thank you.  I'm looking forward to fishing with it.  Just need the weather to cooperate now. 

Those look like great combos. I love shimano rods, but I have been staying away from their flipping rods as they feel relatively tip heavy to me... How does the balance feel with that chronarch on it? the Ci4 is a good looking reel, i may have to give in and add a shimano to the current lineup... 

Mitch

Tell me how that ci4 handles under pressure. I heard it has a hard time.

As soon as there's a chance to fish with it :)   Still have over 2' of ice.  I do not anticipate problems with this reel, well I hope not.  Have you heard this from reviews or fishermen?  I haven't read anything negative about it yet, so keeping the fingers crossed.  

As soon as there's a chance to fish with it :)   Still have over 2' of ice.  I do not anticipate problems with this reel, well I hope not.  Have you heard this from reviews or fishermen?  I haven't read anything negative about it yet, so keeping the fingers crossed.

Nothing bad mostly good just some complaints that it's noisey under pressure

Those look like great combos. I love shimano rods, but I have been staying away from their flipping rods as they feel relatively tip heavy to me... How does the balance feel with that chronarch on it? the Ci4 is a good looking reel, i may have to give in and add a shimano to the current lineup... 

Mitch

Hi Mitch

The balance point is a couple inches ahead of the reel.  It's slightly tip-heavy and feels slightly less tip heavy than the last generation of Crucial.  I specifically checked for that feel and it's pretty close.  I'm used to that feel so it's ok.  One thing I really like is how the blank is completely exposed under the reel seat.  It's a new feel to me and so far, so good.     

As far as the Ci4 goes, it palms nicely (I don't have big hands) and is reels smoothly.  I've casted around the yard completely free spool and no brakes on and it cast well but that's not saying much as it was in the yard.  So can't really give much more info than that.  Initial impressions are good  Tomorrow, I may go to a lake to cast around with the new TS rod and the plastique reel. lol 

• Like 1

Nothing bad mostly good just some complaints that it's noisey under pressure

yeah, gotcha.  Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow if I get to go casting and catching. 

Hi Mitch

The balance point is a couple inches ahead of the reel.  It's slightly tip-heavy and feels slightly less tip heavy than the last generation of Crucial.  I specifically checked for that feel and it's pretty close.  I'm used to that feel so it's ok.  One thing I really like is how the blank is completely exposed under the reel seat.  It's a new feel to me and so far, so good.     

As far as the Ci4 goes, it palms nicely (I don't have big hands) and is reels smoothly.  I've casted around the yard completely free spool and no brakes on and it cast well but that's not saying much as it was in the yard.  So can't really give much more info than that.  Initial impressions are good  Tomorrow, I may go to a lake to cast around with the new TS rod and the plastique reel. lol 

The reel seat on the new shimano rods are in my opinion the best design out there, it gives maximum contact with your hand to the blank, i have a few of the compre/clarus series and they feel very nice for the price... I dont mind a little tip heavy, one of my flippin sticks is a 8' mojo (that is super tip heavy) i used one of the BPS balancers to help, it is now pretty comfortable to fish with... thanks for the reply...

Mitch

• Like 1