Sign in to follow this  
Richie Jenkins

Wind/water Temp Help Pls

Maybe someone here can help me.. I've tried to google but couldn't find the answer..   Ok so I went to take my wife fishing at a lake at a park and we seen that they rent jon boats and other types of boats for the lake.   I asked about renting a jon boat with a trolling motor and I was told at the last time they checked the wind/water temperature that it was 81 and that the wind/water temperature had to = 100 for them to be able to let people rent boats..  Could anyone please explain to me how the wind/water temp works and why It stops us from renting a boat ?

They probably have had too many people falling out of boats and need safe conditions to ensure that people will not get hypothermia too quickly before than can be rescued. I don't know how their formula is figured.

Yeah that's probably right.. It is still a bit chilly here most of the days.. but some days Its in high 60's and these are the days I have tried to rent a boat so far.. I went a couple times and the water was so bad it looked like a beach the waves were pretty though and the wind was horrible but the last time I went the wind didn't seem bad at all but maybe it was windy out there on the lake ?  Does wind blow harder or more on the water than it does on land ?