Sign in to follow this  
hoosierbass07

Fishing Tubes For Bass - How And When?

I'm going into my second year of fishing.  Last year I didn't use any tubes I kept hearing and keep hearing how good tubes are for bass.  

So this year I want to start using tubes.  I picked up some Yum F2 tubes this evening.  I got out my 4/0 and 5/0 hooks and these tubes being four inch seem like 5/0 WG hooks are perfect for these tubes.  I can't wait to try them out.  I also have a big box of Bass Pro Shops soft plastics and it came with some tubes too and they look nice.  

Anyway, is spring a good time to use tubes?  What about pre-spawn and during the spawn?  Do you use bullet weights with your tubes?  I tried one of my Bass Pro Shops tube a few weeks ago (no bites) with a bullet weight and it was more heavy than I expected.  Are tubes heavy enough to be used without bullet weights? 

Finally, how do you work your tubes when going for bass?  

Thanks!

Most people drag tubes on the bottom with some sort of jig head.  I prefer to fish them weightless and dead stick them like a senko.  The unweighted tube will glide and spiral like a dying baitfish.  The unweighted tube will also skip really well and mimic a baitfish jumping on the surface fleeing predator.  

I love throwing tubes in the spring. I usually fish them on a 1/4 oz bullet weight and drag it super slow on the bottom. Especially in the really cold water, I will sometimes have 3-5 minute casts. When it comes to the spawn a small weightless tube on a bed is really good. The slow fall drives the bass crazy. Also, you might try dropshotting a small tube or craw type plastic on beds. It may seem weird at first but works really well.

I fish tubes all year and in all conditions. Ive always felt it can be very versatile no matter what type of cover or structure you are fishing. I rig them on a tube jig. 

I Texas rig my tubes with Trokar tube hooks, and a 3/16 tungsten weight.

I also like to put them on a 1/4oz shakey head with a glass rattle inserted into the tube.

On Lake Erie I use a 1/2oz or 3/4oz tube jig (bite me big head) and drag them along the bottom.

I use them year round.