Sign in to follow this  
BuckMaxx

Pouring Heads

I finally got around to start pouring jigs. I had a couple issues that I may need help with. How do I clean out the eyes of they get covered with lead? Is there an easier way (than luck) to keep hooks in the correct position,when trying to close it? I thought about putting a dab of clay in the eyelet hole on the mold.

Thanks these are just the first of many to come :)

what molds are you using?  i just started pouring for the fist time ever and made several football jigs with and without weedguards in them and didn't have one that lead ran out of mold where it shouldn't have.  i would have to think that your mold doens't close well.  also just lay the mold flat and lay your hooks in it.  if you have the right hooks they will stay put when you close the mold..... if they dont then you have either the wrong size or wrong hook altogether and you can either modify the mold to for your style hook or buy diff hooks.

But the lead will come out of the eye way easier than finished paint... poke it with another hook or there is a tool you can use designed for clearing the finished product.

What mold is it that you have? I currently have around 30+ jig molds and I have to do a little improvising on a few of my molds. My bigger jig molds that take bigger hooks need something to hold the hook in place or it will fall out of the correct position while closing. I put another open mold right next to the mold I am pouring. If you open the second mold, you can lay the hook on the second mold and it will stay in place when you close the mold with the hook in it. There are all kinds of little tricks for pouring lead heads, and I've been doing it for quite a few years and learned a lot. I'm willing to help anytime you need it. Just drop me a line and I'll do what I can.

What mold are you using? I'm asking because I only have had it happen on 2 occasions and it was due to a modification I made to the mold to accept a hook that wasn't designed for it. I'm guessing that the hook is either the wrong type or size for the head you are trying to cast.