Sign in to follow this  
Big Fish Small Pond

Fenwick Hmx Spinning Rods

Hey guys, anybody have some experience with Fenwick HMX Spinning Rods for use as a lighter bass spinning combo?

I handled a couple of these recently and they seem to be some really nice spinning rods at the price point.

I have an HMX 7' Med. X-Fast spinning rod.  It's an older model with the full cork.   I think it's a pretty decent rod but it seems like most everyone here recommends spending the additional ten bucks and getting the HMG (which I've never tried).

I bought it for inshore striped bass fishing but now use it for largemouths too.  The guys I striper fish with in the salt recommended I buy the Falcon Lowrider rod.  I cheaped out a bit and picked up the HMX instead.  Out on Cape Cod Bay this spring, three of us were using identical Daiwa Tournament SS reels and the same Suffix braid, and the two guys with the Falcon rods were out-casting me by a noticeable distance throwing the same unweighted Bass Assassins.   I still like the HMX, but wish I had tried the Lowrider instead.  

Tight lines,

Bob

I don't have an HMX, but do have 4 other Fenwick models.  All are well worth the price.  The Smallmouth and Aetos series in particular are great rods for the price.

Bob:  My personal opinion is if you were looking for distance, an XF action rod wasn't the best choice.  This opinion is worth just what you paid for it.  :teeth:

Bob:  My personal opinion is if you were looking for distance, an XF action rod wasn't the best choice.  This opinion is worth just what you paid for it.  :teeth:

I wasn't looking for distance; I just noticed that there was a difference in the distance capabilities of the rods.  I'm glad you mentioned it, though...   I know my two buddies had 7' medium power Lowriders, but I'm not sure of the action.  That means there was a good chance I was comparing apples to oranges.

In other words, disregard my previous post!

The bottom line is, I have no complaints with my Fenwick HMX 7' MXF spinning rod.  :-)

Tight lines,

Bob