Sign in to follow this  
PondLvr

Taking A Trip To The Orlando Area And Need Some Help.

Hello, I live in Illinois and I love bass fishing. I'm gonna be taking a trip down to Orlando and I could use some advice on where to fish, maybe even go for some redfish. Anyone know the area and think you could help me out? And I will be fishing out of a kayak. Feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks.

-Will.

If you wanna go for some reds out of a kayak there are few ramps in the haulover canal area near Titusville I would recommend. Bairs cove accesses the canal itself and the north Indian river, biolab and eddy creek access the south end of the mosquito lagoon. It's about an hour and fifteen from Orlando. For bass fishing there are small lakes all over metro Orlando and the toho chain is about 40 minutes south and the Harris chain is about an hour northwest. The st. Johns can also be good if you want to try bass fishing in a river-marsh type environment.

• Like 1

Alright I'll look into those places. But what kind of tackle would you use for reds?

Alright I'll look into those places. But what kind of tackle would you use for reds?

Same as bass fishing!! They will eat spinnerbailts, curly tail grubs on a jig head, check out DOA lures website 

Where are you staying?? I grew up in Central Florida maybe able to help even more. 

My mom's boyfriend is driver for an RV company so we will stay in that until he delivers it. So that's nice. But I should use bigger baits for em right? And any recommendations on where to find the fish down there this time of year?

For reds, if I had to choose only one thing to throw, it'd be a 1/8 oz jighead with a DOA cal. Otherwise, a mirrodine 17mr, or DOA shrimp. Super spooks work great along with flukes as well.

For reds, if I had to choose only one thing to throw, it'd be a 1/8 oz jighead with a DOA cal. Otherwise, a mirrodine 17mr, or DOA shrimp. Super spooks work great along with flukes as well.

Thanks for the advice. So where are the bass and reds hangin around during the winter? Deeper or shallower?

If your okay with live bait, finger mullet or shrimp under a rattle float or popping cork is the way to go for covering water out of a kayak. I usually check out Google maps and look for grassbeds, sand bars and channels. Most of the ramps I mentioned access this kind of stuff. If you launch at haulover you'll be right at the deepest water around and I've seen some big reds, sheepshead black drum and tarpon caught there. If you want reds and bass, then check out the north Indian river near Mims and look for freshwater creeks draining into the river. Saltwater can hit or miss you might catch nothin or you might catch a 6 foot shark in three feet of water. Also go check out the Florida sportsman website and read the east central fishing reports, there will be some up to date stuff from the general area.