Sign in to follow this  
jbo225

Needing Help On Last Min Xmas Gift

This is a last min Xmas gift for my cousin he is just getting into fishing and I'm getting a him a new rod looking to get him either shimano sellus or Berkley lighting rod shock..he would be using it for a lil everything so which should I get him thanks ppl

You can get the shimano claurus right now on TW for $50 normally $90!

much appreciated i do see the claurus

The 7' MHF Shimano Claurus looks like an excellent choice at that price.  No personal experience with it, but it is a Shimano and that is all that normally is required on this forum.  :teeth:  Kidding.  I own a few of their reels and a couple of their casting rods.  Good products....even very good.  Definitely go for the Claurus over the Sellus if you go Shimano.  If your friend plans on using something other than braid, then my personal choice in the Lightning line would not be the Shock, but the original Lightning.  Right now there aren't many rods on sale so your choice is going to be limited at $50 or less.  Good luck.

For a few dollars more I would look at this rod.  http://ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=6410

Berkley. I like all of their rods for the money. I asked for two more for XMas myself! They are food rods, especially for someone just starting out. Strong, reliable, and sensitive. I own 4 already.

6.. Sorry I own 6. Got ahead of myself (or maybe the bait monkey did.... Hmmmnnn)

whats the difference in the shock and reg lightning rod ive notice alot of ppl perfer the reg lightning rod over the shock why is that?

whats the difference in the shock and reg lightning rod ive notice alot of ppl perfer the reg lightning rod over the shock why is that?

The shock has a slower tip meaning it has a lot of flex and the reason for that is the rod was designed to use with braid specifically. Braid doesn't have any stretch or give so with a stiffer rod a hard hook set can pull the hooks free or, in extreme cases, cause the rod to break so the shock has a composite tip that flexes like a rod with a moderate fast action. Go with the regular lightning rod, if your cousin uses other lines the shock isn't going to be for him.

went with the lightning rod saw and heard alot of good things for the price point