Sign in to follow this  
Preytorien

What To Do On Lake Michigan?

My wife has been buzzing with excitement the last few days as she's planning out a little getaway for us this coming summer. Looks like we're staying in Holland, MI. I've heard of fishing for steelhead and lake trout in Lake Michigan, but I'm not really crazy about hiring a charter to fish for those kinds of fish, I'd much rather go for largemouth or smallmouth.

Where do you find that kind of fishing on the lake? Are there charters that take you out for just bass? 

I've never been, so any direction would be great. Thanks guys.

I don't know of any guides that target bass in that area on the big lake. There are a f ew small lakes in the area where you may find a guide or a place to rent a boat. I do fish the big lake farther north for smallies in late April, but it's a two hour drive from Holland. If you'd like I can put you in touch with my guy up there and he may know of someone. PM me.

When during the summer are you going?

I can't think of anyone running a guide service for bass anywhere along the big lake or inland for that matter.  Depending on when you are heading north, you may have the chance to target smallies off the piers. 

I'd be going probably in late June early July so the wife can actually get in the water.

If there's not much in the way of fishing I'll probably just leave the gear at home. No worries.

You can mess around in tributaries and probably catch a few smallies. Steelhead in the rivers is done by June. I'm sure you could get a few smallies in the rivers though.

Fishing chances on Lake Michigan proper is just about limited to salmon charters, and perhaps some shoreline / pier fishing for the same.   Lake Macatawa that runs right through the middle of Holland is supposed to be a decent lake for bass, crappies etc.  I bet you can find a boat rental on there.  

http://www.fishingnotes.com/fishing-report/mi/Lake-Macatawa

I've not been to Holland, but any pier that goes out into the lake should offer you a lot of Smallmouth and Freshwater Drum action. June-July is hot hot hot for Smallmouth.